WJ200 Analog Output (AM) help...

Lucky Liverider

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a APM Trumeter to monitor the frequency output of my VFD. The hookup is very straight forward however getting the instrument to function has been a challenge. Below is the programing sequence I went through;

1 - C028 = 00
2 - C109 = 10 (i used every parameter here with no meter activity)
3 - C106 = 100-200 (likewise with this parameter, no meter activity)

The meter is powered up fine with the 24vdc PSU connection, I have doubled and tripple checked all of my connections to terminals AM and L on the VFD, all is good there. I'm reading + or - 10vdc to the input terminals of the meter but reading nothing on the scale. I'm wondering if the use of a 5k potentiometer sharing the L terminal may be a problem. Any assistance would be welcomed...

Attachments

• 1562466195238.png
    1562466195238.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Does the meter read properly when you monitor the wiper of the pot? You should see a 0-10v signal there-
mark
ps have you tried a conventional self-contained multimeter?
It looks like the trumeter comes in different models- which one do you have? You want a voltage model not frequency

Last edited:
I don't see any outputs from the WJ200 that give a direct frequency output- if that's what you were after- you might could tap directly onto one of the motor phases thru a voltage divider or something similar
Other than that you'd need to use a computer port tie-in I think
I see another pair of open collector outputs on the other side pin 11, 12 and CM2 but don't know what that does, check that out in the manual

Last edited:
For frequency I think you want use the EO terminal, and set C027 = 3 Then scale the panel meter properly using the configuration software.

The use of a 2K or 5K pot makes no difference, if anything a 5K presents less load. You need to select C028 = 03 and then you can adjust the bias and gain of the output with C105 and C109. I would leave these at their defaults of C106 = 100 and C109 = 0. Connection output is L and AM. What you need to be aware of is that the output of the AM terminal is limited to 2mA, so I would use a digital voltmeter otherwise an analogue micro amp voltmeter. There could also be a limitation to the voltmeter, as the cheaper ones are not isolated from their power source and this can create problems. My mill uses the VFD analogue output to give the RPM speed, and this is scaled with a small back gear switch which selects the scaling/input. The digital voltmeter has 2 inputs each which can be scaled separately. It is also possible to do an adjustable voltage divider with resistors.

Specific to the APM meter, there are various types their tachometer is based on a pulse train output and not an analogue 0-10V output. I believe it would require connections to the L and EO terminal and the program parameter is C027 = 00 (the default is 07). The scaling for C027 is done by C047, the default is 1.00. Not sure exactly how this works or the specifics of the pulse train. If you want to use the VFD analogue 0-10V terminals you would need the APM voltmeter connected to terminals L and AM. The input scale would be set to 0-10V range, and you can scale the output to correlate to RPM through the meter gain feature. Also be aware that when scaling there needs to be some adjustment for the motor slip angle and load, the actual motor RPM may not always correlate the VFD output frequency. The difference would be small. The RPM calculation only holds for single motor RPM to spindle ratio, change the ratio and you need to rescale the meter.

I have used analogue outputs in the past for RPM, most of the digital meters I use have 2 separate selectable inputs, each with a scaling factor, but there are other ways to make adjustable voltage dividers for scaling. If you can use a hall sensor with a driver/power supply, you should be able to use the pulse output to drive the RPM meter.

Attachments

• AM Output.jpg.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Does the meter read properly when you monitor the wiper of the pot? You should see a 0-10v signal there-
mark
It looks like the trumeter comes in different models- which one do you have? You want a voltage model not frequency
The meter is the APM 100 model of which is designed as a multi meter reading amps. volts, and freq which is programable through provided software.
mark
Thanks for responding Mark, the meter does function accurately in voltage mode with the wiper. With scalling I'm able to retain voltage accuracy to the VFD within .2 in either direction from 40 to 80 hz.

Last edited:
For frequency I think you want use the EO terminal, and set C027 = 3 Then scale the panel meter properly using the configuration software.
Thanks for responding Jim, I cant get any funcionality through EO. Not sure if the Pulse Train/Pulse Width Modulation signal on EO is the issue. I'm using AM now with C028 set to 04 and changed the meter to Voltage. With scaling I've matched the VFD voltage within .2 in either direction for 40 to 80 HZ. I still want to make use of the second meter, bought two. Looking at what can be acheived through terminals 11 and 12.

I don't see any outputs from the WJ200 that give a direct frequency output- if that's what you were after- you might could tap directly onto one of the motor phases thru a voltage divider or something similar
Other than that you'd need to use a computer port tie-in I think
I see another pair of open collector outputs on the other side pin 11, 12 and CM2 but don't know what that does, check that out in the manual

Mark,

The manual says the terminals AM, EO are programmable, see blow. 11 and 12 are open collectors

Attachments

• 1562554308258.png
    1562554308258.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 2
The use of a 2K or 5K pot makes no difference, if anything a 5K presents less load. You need to select C028 = 03 and then you can adjust the bias and gain of the output with C105 and C109. I would leave these at their defaults of C106 = 100 and C109 = 0. Connection output is L and AM. What you need to be aware of is that the output of the AM terminal is limited to 2mA, so I would use a digital voltmeter otherwise an analogue micro amp voltmeter. There could also be a limitation to the voltmeter, as the cheaper ones are not isolated from their power source and this can create problems. My mill uses the VFD analogue output to give the RPM speed, and this is scaled with a small back gear switch which selects the scaling/input. The digital voltmeter has 2 inputs each which can be scaled separately. It is also possible to do an adjustable voltage divider with resistors.

Specific to the APM meter, there are various types their tachometer is based on a pulse train output and not an analogue 0-10V output. I believe it would require connections to the L and EO terminal and the program parameter is C027 = 00 (the default is 07). The scaling for C027 is done by C047, the default is 1.00. Not sure exactly how this works or the specifics of the pulse train. If you want to use the VFD analogue 0-10V terminals you would need the APM voltmeter connected to terminals L and AM. The input scale would be set to 0-10V range, and you can scale the output to correlate to RPM through the meter gain feature. Also be aware that when scaling there needs to be some adjustment for the motor slip angle and load, the actual motor RPM may not always correlate the VFD output frequency. The difference would be small. The RPM calculation only holds for single motor RPM to spindle ratio, change the ratio and you need to rescale the meter.

I have used analogue outputs in the past for RPM, most of the digital meters I use have 2 separate selectable inputs, each with a scaling factor, but there are other ways to make adjustable voltage dividers for scaling. If you can use a hall sensor with a driver/power supply, you should be able to use the pulse output to drive the RPM meter.

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a test run this week.

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a test run this week.
Update, meter is wired to AM terminal, C028 is set to 00. Meter is set to "voltage" in the software and scaled to 2.888 with 0 offset. Bingo, the meter now reads frequency and matches the VFD readout by + or - .25 over the whole range. Happy with the outcome...I have another meter (this makes 3 now) and its the Trumeter Rate Meter to attached the hall sensor too...this weekend maybe298268

Back