wnmg tool holder

You can mill the bottom of a 5/8 or 3/4 tool holder to 1/2" no problem

You can mill the bottom of a 5/8 or 3/4 tool holder to 1/2" no problem
Why mill the bottom, why not the top? Every time I see someone mill a holder they mill the bottom, me I would think milling the top makes more sense.

Why mill the bottom, why not the top? Every time I see someone mill a holder they mill the bottom, me I would think milling the top makes more sense.

If you mill the top you may not be able to get the tool on center height.

I should point out that although I do like the MWLN holder mentioned above, I recently bought this set from
Precision Mathews that use CCGT or CCMT inserts which I think work even better on my small lathe (PM1228).
These are positive rake inserts so you only get to use one side, but in this set there are holders that allow you
to use all 4 corners. It also comes with 10 CCMT and 10 CCGT inserts. Currently it goes for around $160 and
around $17 shipping. I have no connection to PM except that I am a happy customer.

I used the WNMG insert to turn some aluminum and got an ok finish, then used one of the CCGT inserts
(maybe not a fair comparison as they are much sharper and made for aluminum) and the finish was like
glass. I know with the WNMG you should get 6 corners per insert, but at least with this set you can get
4 per insert.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-CA...-LATHE-SIZED-FOR-AXA-CCGT-CCMT-/232277702664?

Reactions: Guv
High positive ground inserts like the CCGT or HSS will give a much nicer finish on aluminum over any negative insert. But there are are positive geometry negative inserts though that work well like WNGG or WNMP for the trigons.

Most people who are getting into insert tooling make the common mistake. They look at how many cutting edges you get per insert & because most negative inserts can be flipped they catch people's eyes. But if you have a hobby lathes, positive inserts are the way to go. Negative inserts will give you no advantage & often they won't perform well.

Another mistake is people will buy indexable tool holders on ebay for an inexpensive price. Then they go to find inserts & might find the inserts are obsolete or uncommon which makes them expensive. I recommend doing just the opposite. Search for which inserts are available cheap & are VERY common. Then buy the appropriate tool holder even if it costs you a bit more.

Of all the negative rake inserts I have tried, WNMG leaves me a bit confused. I never get great surface finish with it, not on either of my lathes, 2500 and 3000 rpm VS capable. I have spent a bit of time varying speeds and feeds and never come away completely satisfied with the results. They get into tighter areas than a CNMG, but don't seem to have much else going for them. So I do my hogging with either a Neg Rake HSS tool or CNMG and then finish up with highly honed HSS or Pos Rake insert. For low bucks and good finishes I like TPG in very small radius, with a slow feed, a good match for my toolmakers lathe. For doing ity bity stuff I use ccmt or ccgt or Micro 100 minature boring bars in carbide in a homemade holder, if you need to take a half thou cut in a very tight area, Micro 100 is the stuff.

I really like Wills thoughts on holders, find an insert that does what you want and then find the holder. I know for a fact that TPG does a lot for me for next to nothing cost wise. What they cant do for finish cuts I use smaller, more advanced inserts, but I doubt I will ever quit the TPG, its been around for 50 years or more, its not going away and has remained cheap for years.

I respect the input of those who have made great points us noobs would find out the hard way....just want to put this here to hear what your thoughts are. This is an AXA holder, so I assume it works with a 10x something lathe. I like the facing/turning design as well...FWIW.
Shars WNMG AXA holder

Since the conversation was already going on here (and I will look to see if also another thread(s) I'll just continue on here.
so with plenty of warning, i purchased a 5/8" XL AXA tool holder and 5 /8" insert holders. There are 3 different styles , but I only care about the WNMG to experiment with. If this goes bad, I'm only out $50.
I will have to search to see if there are positive rakes available to them, I don't much care about being able to flip the insert over...I really just want a trigon with option for different inserts (radius, coatings etc...) My trigon is really just made one way by maybe 2 Chinese companies. (WCMT 2.52....I THINK...I never did find replacements other than the 2 I mentioned. I also see these tools have a spacer under the insert, just slightly smaller, I thought I could mill one with some angle to it to take out the angle made into tool holder.
Thoughts on the inserts with take made into them (WNMG, if that does indeed exist) or making a shim to replace the ones on these holders, to compensate for the angle made into the tool?
at the end of it all, I think there will be some cause and effect education for myself, I don't see me killing myself inadvertently here...

Back