Woe Is Me.....

nice! That makes your decision a bit easier.

So what kind of mill are you going to buy with the money you saved? Or maybe a nice Aloris tool post to replace the "adequate" grizzly QCTP?

Not sure if I am doing this correctly but here you go. My back definitely says I brought something heavy home....photo attached, maybe.

As for the Grizzly QCTP, it is the first one I have used and we are still in the early stages of our relationship, but I may be finding out that it has it's shortcomings. For example, when I loosen the top nut to turn the post, there is a one way pin underneath that I believe is supposed to let it turn one way. But, in reality, unless I really loosen up the nut I rests in a small slot and doesn't want to co-operate.

The online manual for the G4003 says here is your QCTP and that is about it.......

Any suggestions as to operating it and/or modifications. I don't want to upgrade yet, just improve it if possible.

As for the operation, I am really starting to like this machine and all it's features, and I'm glad I went BIG. Now, if it was just another color than green......

G4003.JPG G4003.JPG

Some people pin the QCTP so it can't rotate (you should be able to pull that pin out if it bugs you). I don't, but I keep my QCTP squared up to the compound, and rotate the compound when I need another angle.

Is there an advantage to keeping the QCTP squared up and rotating the compound vs rotating the QCTP itself?

Opinions are like rearends--everyone has one & most of them stink. That being said, here is my opinion on the locking pin.

Remove the pin, spring, bungee cords, etc. and carry all of them to the nearest swamp. Place all of the objects in your hand. Close your eyes tightly and turn round approximately three revolutions. Throw all of the objects as far as possible (eyes remain closed), count to 47, open eyes and go home and use the lathe.

Now, don't you feel better?

Posted with tongue firmly embedded in cheek.
Jerry in Delaware

Well in MY Opinion ;), You will find that being able to set the compound at an angle that is correct for the job and being able adjust the tool post independently is the only way to fly. As Muskt suggests, remove or fix anything that hampers free movement of the tool post.

The nearest swamp is about 2000 miles away from me here in Northern California. But there is an ocean just about a pins throw away from here. I'll take it out and put it in a safe place in case there was a reason to put it back in one day.

Is there an advantage to keeping the QCTP squared up and rotating the compound vs rotating the QCTP itself?

My take on it is if you use indexable carbide, the tool holder and tip were designed by the manufacturer to achieve what they considered an optimum angle of cut. Orienting the tool 15 degrees or whatever isn't really going to help. HSS is a different story, the optimum cutting angle isn't ground into it... unless you waste a lot of time at the grinding wheel.

Yes, I started out trying to be an artist, rotating my QCTP which ever way caught my fancy. And then I started learning more about indexible carbide, and just stopped wasting my time and left my tool post squared up.

The exception: when cutting threads, you have to rotate the QCTP. You set the compound to 29.5 degrees, and rotate the tool post so that threading bit is perpendicular to the workpiece, and then use the compound to advance the bit into the the workpiece (yes, I know that some people "cheat" and skip the whole compound thing, but you do get better looking threads IMHO).

So, at the end of the day, I would pull those pins and chuck them.

Dorian AFAIK is the only company that sells QCTP predrilled for pins to keep the tool post from rotating. Their brochure says it makes it stiffer. They would also prevent a parting event gone horribly wrong from rotating the toolpost into the chuck. Never seen it happen, but heard of it.

Save the pin. It is useful when knurling and other times when load wants to twist the QCTP.

Back