Wohlhaupter Boring Head Arbor

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I see these boring heads come up for sale occasionally, usually brutally expensive if they are in nice shape. Unfortunately, they typically have an arbor like MT# or Cat# that is different than my (R8) mill spindle. I was wondering if any of you know if/how the arbor can be removed & replaced with an R8? Specifically I would be looking at one of the smaller units UPA 1,2 or 3. I downloaded a set of operating instructions, but they don't really show the arbor as a removable part of the assembly like other boring heads.

wohlhaupter.jpg

I have a few and I just slip an R8 to MT2 sleeve on it . Cheap fix .

I've got some Criterions with straight shanks.
Fit a standard collet.
Seem to hold without any problems.

Daryl
MN

They show the shank/head is removable for some models, might vary by vintage as some of the older ones had a fixed shank. Have also seen the MT2 to R8 adapter used. Problem would be that a factory R8 adapter even if you could find one, would be frightfully expensive. I have not seen interchangeable shanks listed in the parts manuals. I have seen a few NOS UPA3 R8 come up for sale recently. Two things of note where that you need the factory special wrenches for the head, and a posting noted that Wohlhaupter repairs but no longer sell these heads.
http://www.wohlhaupterus.com/en/products/pdf/Wohlhaupter_6003_UPA_Heads.pdf
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEVER-USED-...334897?hash=item210924e9f1:g:a98AAOSwqYBWpqDS

Thanks for replies. I guess I never understood how those R8/MT adapters worked. Does the MT tang on the end engage a corresponding pocket inside the R8 adapter shell? Or is it just a friction fit between the mating surfaces that prevents tool rotation? Thanks for heads up on discontinuation, I suspected that might be the case. The radial feed feature is so cool but I hardly think I could justify the $ outlay for work I'm doing.

So .................Wolhopter MT to R8 . They are out there .

IMG_6106.JPG IMG_6107.JPG IMG_6108.JPG

( MT tapers are locking tapers regardless of tangs )

My motto is and was when starting out . Tools and $$$ can be replaced . The time wasted trying to use substandard tooling is irretrievable . You will never get it back . Such holds true for everything in life .

Last edited:
I used a Wohlhaupter Boring/Facing Head for 6 years on a DeVlieg boring mill back in the day, no doubt they are top of the line. When it came time to buy a boring/facing head for my Bridgeport I lucked up on an early Enco model made in France, the name of the actual manufacturer escapes me at the moment but there is a thread on them on the net. Just for S&G's I googled "boring facing head r8 shank" and ran up on one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enco-boring-facing-head-R8-/151974411757

DeVlieg horizontal sprialmatic boring mill . At the full length of travel on the spindle . TIR was .0002 . The best of the best . When we shut down , ours went to NASA .

I see these boring heads come up for sale occasionally, usually brutally expensive if they are in nice shape. Unfortunately, they typically have an arbor like MT# or Cat# that is different than my (R8) mill spindle. I was wondering if any of you know if/how the arbor can be removed & replaced with an R8? Specifically I would be looking at one of the smaller units UPA 1,2 or 3. I downloaded a set of operating instructions, but they don't really show the arbor as a removable part of the assembly like other boring heads.

View attachment 121702
I understand the newer ones have removable shanks, though swapping to another shank will cost a lot. Many of the older units had integral shanks. I've been looking for a UPA3 with the 40xold Deckel thread - for several years. I've tried to deal on a couple, but as you stated, the price is high. I don't question that the price may well be worth it, but hard for a home guy to pony up that much cash on a tool I wouldn't use a lot.

Back