Wonder What I Can Come Up With For This One ??

Waterlooboy2hp

Registered
Registered
Have had this small bench-top drill press, stored in my barn, for some 30 to 40 years. I say its small, but it is all one person can do to pick it up. Don`t know anything about it. No ID of any kind. I don`t really have any use for it, but I like a good challenge. --- John

eb441f56-f8fe-4d2b-8f77-411c80793732_zpspid2jddy.jpg

Hi Waterlooboy, that looks a lot like an oversized watchmaker's staking tool. It's hard to get a sense of the size of your drill press - would it be possible for you to post a picture with maybe a ruler or just a ball-point pen or something? At any rate, it's clearly meant to be run from a rear-mounted motor with a leather or poly belt. I'm just a beginner at machining, but that looks like it could be a fun project for restoration. I suspect its viability as an actual operational machine, that you could really use in your shop, would depend on the condition of the spindle. Please post more pictures, especially as you proceed with your restoration! Maybe a nice dip in some Evapo-Rust might be a suitable first step... :chunky: :chunky: :chunky:
...Doug in Arizona

got to love those old castings, organic looking, like a tree with missing limbs.

Hi Waterlooboy, that looks a lot like an oversized watchmaker's staking tool. It's hard to get a sense of the size of your drill press - would it be possible for you to post a picture with maybe a ruler or just a ball-point pen or something? At any rate, it's clearly meant to be run from a rear-mounted motor with a leather or poly belt. I'm just a beginner at machining, but that looks like it could be a fun project for restoration. I suspect its viability as an actual operational machine, that you could really use in your shop, would depend on the condition of the spindle. Please post more pictures, especially as you proceed with your restoration! Maybe a nice dip in some Evapo-Rust might be a suitable first step... :chunky: :chunky: :chunky:
...Doug in Arizona
=========================================================================

I just came in from cleaning up the main frame, with a wire cone wheel, on my angle grinder. Not much rust involved really. Just the remnants of 3 coats of paint and most of that blew off with an air hose.

The soda can and the 18" ruler , will give you an idea of size. It has a taper on the spindle and I happed to have an old Almond brand chuck, that will fit. It opens up to .390 . Not quite 5/16", but better than a 1/4" chuck.
I have the motor that came with the drill press, It has the same 3 coats of paint on it as the D. press. There was a shaft out the back of the base, that must have had a small cast iron table, that slid in and out, to change the pulley position for each of the 3 speeds. At some point, the shaft was torched off. I surmise, that maybe the motor mounting table got busted, as one mounting ear on the motor is also gone.

Someone had remounted the motor on a homemade wooden box and sat it on the bench, behind the drill press as a quick fix. --- John

Here is photo of the main frame now, for an idea of the size.

69776c89-0987-4d43-9d72-f5a374ad6137_zpsdd6vnqxf.jpg

This is where the motor would have mounted.

d9f5ca1c-137c-4bf6-8345-5e3df17d1d50_zpsursgnczt.jpg 4dbffc00-b7aa-41a2-9cfa-b42756b35f1d_zpsxnpboynj.jpg

This is the motor, It is a 1/4hp Westinghouse. Dating the motor, may give me an idea of the age of the machine. Note the thumb nuts, for the 115v wiring. The tin cover is missing.

769885dd-dce1-4ef3-8114-0c40ce3f5f1d_zps7yhqlasy.jpg

Wow, the DP is indeed bigger than I had thought! Thanks for the soda can & ruler - I can see why it would be so heavy. Good job getting the crud off.
I agree that dating the motor may shed light on the age of the whole thing - although there's nothing to prevent a motor coming from old shelf stock and assembled to a newly-finished drill press....or vice versa. Still, it might date the DP within a decade or two.

Any chance of getting photos here of the motor's ID plate? Maybe some other casting details? I agree that the AC hookup's locknuts speak to a bygone era...
...Doug

Any chance of getting photos here of the motor's ID plate? Maybe some other casting details? I agree that the AC hookup's locknuts speak to a bygone era...
...Doug[/QUOTE]

================================================================

Here is a shot of the motor tag.

b419acc3-4760-44ac-8413-910f2b5c028a_zps5stwjtbx.jpg

Not much to add to the motor features, that in not seen in the first motor photo. Maybe only the large casting boss on each end, for the oil hole. Also that this little 1/4hp motor, weighs in at 26 lbs..--- John

42aebd84-931f-48a4-a418-394ce7aef7e5_zpsogupuato.jpg

I'm a bit jealous. That is what I have been looking for. I look forward to seeing it when you finish.

Have had this small bench-top drill press, stored in my barn, for some 30 to 40 years. I say its small, but it is all one person can do to pick it up. Don`t know anything about it. No ID of any kind. I don`t really have any use for it, but I like a good challenge. --- John

eb441f56-f8fe-4d2b-8f77-411c80793732_zpspid2jddy.jpg

======================================================

Well, I have made a bit of progress on this machine. I needed a motor mounting of some kind. I figured that a small drill press table, would fit the bill. The table on the smallest Harbor Freight drill press, looked to be just the right size. Found out, that the vast majority of replacement parts on Harbor Freight machines, are no longer available through HF. The rep on the phone, said to use Grizzly, or Northern Tool for parts.

I also needed a table and a column clamp, for another project, so I included this little 6 1/4" x 6 1/2" table in the order from Grizzly online. I bored out the original mounting hole. to 1.25"and added 3 tapped holes for my needs.

ab5adb31-0aff-467b-9894-e1b30701f12d_zpsk4qquife.jpg

I had to make an adaptor, to go from the motor mounting table, to the new 3/4" shaft, that is on the rear of the drill press base.

DP20motor20mount20shaft_zps397ts4f5.jpg

This is what I came up with. Hopefully, I can just pull the pin and slide the motor back and forth, the choose each of the 3 speeds, without having to also move the mule drive pulleys, on top of the drill press. I will see if it pans out, once the 5/16" round belt material arrives in the mail.

6775dd72-2505-41a9-9b54-2b5e2fd8d55d_zpsxkww2fw5.jpg badd80b9-cadf-4e2a-871a-aca70ad227a6_zpsijkocan7.jpg 8d8b99f5-84dc-420f-a963-9829a4a6d40f_zpsu6psuliz.jpg

Here is an overall photo, with the motor sitting in place, so far.

I also have a cast iron hood from another drill press, that I hope I can adapt to this machine, as a cover on the spindle pulley. It appears, something was there at one time. --- John

61278eb8-d7c2-4643-a556-58a1cb37508e_zpsdkg6mk3h.jpg

That's beautiful! The green paint really sets it off. Very nice!
...Doug in Arizona

...Doug

================================================================

Here is a shot of the motor tag.

b419acc3-4760-44ac-8413-910f2b5c028a_zps5stwjtbx.jpg

Back