Wondering if someone can look at my grounding

Mr. rdean says Usually you end up doing what the electrical inspector requires for your location.

This is quite possibly the best answer I have seen through any of our efforts. Many times I did things I did not understand at the time, could find no reference to and did not believe in, but completed the job in the manner I was told to get inspector's approval. What I liked best was to get a different inspector at a later date who would completely disagree with the method of installation. When I explained the circumstances to them and the source of information they no longer wanted to discuss the matter. Right or wrong, real meaning to the term "Thick as thieves".

Russell Dean to rdean-- great point & quote!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much as I have always observed. NEC is a National Code.....fine, but whatever the locals require is what counts. As long as they are happy, your insurance company will be.

Thanks for all the help guys. To answer a few questions,
Yes i would call it a sub panel in my shed there is a wire comming from my main panel in my house to feed it.
I got the 3 phase wiring changed around and marked the white wire green.
The grounding and bonding is getting a little over my head so i think i may just bring in a electrition to see what i have going on.
Ill let you know what i come up with
Mike

I got the 3 phase wiring changed around and marked the white wire green.
Mike

That's the only color you *should not* use. Change that to red or black or blue. Green is reserved for the non-current-carrying safety grounding conductor.

Having an electrician look at the panel is a good idea. He'll know what your local inspector requires.

Good discussion guys and a special thanks to Tony Wells for stealing "MY" usual line. HA! LOL! :roflmao:

That's the only color you *should not* use. Change that to red or black or blue. Green is reserved for the non-current-carrying safety grounding conductor.

Having an electrician look at the panel is a good idea. He'll know what your local inspector requires.

John and others--I'm not an electrician--but It sure looks like the big white wire is the neutral that is coming from the main panel with a black and a red and bare ground wire so I don't know why you would want to change the color or connect it to the bonded ground bar in a sub panel..I will be happy to know how this all comes out, and I pray no one gets hurt.---one thing to learn--if you don't understand electricity--then don't do wiring and definately do not throw the power to it untill it is inspected by the inspector------just my concerns-------Dave

John and others--I'm not an electrician--but It sure looks like the big white wire is the neutral that is coming from the main panel with a black and a red and bare ground wire so I don't know why you would want to change the color or connect it to the bonded ground bar in a sub panel..I will be happy to know how this all comes out, and I pray no one gets hurt.---one thing to learn--if you don't understand electricity--then don't do wiring and definately do not throw the power to it untill it is inspected by the inspector------just my concerns-------Dave

I understood him to be saying that he had used a white wire for the "synthetic phase" going from his converter to his three-phase motor and then had painted it green. The panel is another issue. I think he should have an electrician look at that. For one thing, we don't know how the feeder is hooked up at the other end.

All right;
Took a while but i got everting ironed out and the machine is running. Had a electrion come in and things were mostly ok. At the 3 phase panel i had the neutral tiheed in to the earth ground. I also had the "manufactureed" leg of the 3 phase power comming into the wrong lug at the machine panel.
Thanks for all the help. I mentioned the replys here to the electrition and he said that its all different depending where in the state/world your are.
Got to get back to the shop and get parts running.
Thanks again.
Mike

Back