Won't power on, new ac contactor

I have confirmed I do have a switch problem by comparing the readings between the mill switch and the lathe switch. However, even when I swap switches I do not have forward and reverse.. perhaps both switches have failed in different ways?

Anyway I have. Switch on order from grizzly, it should be in on Tuesday.

does anyone have a recommendation on a different switch to use besides the grizzly one?

Not really, anything heavier duty would be physically larger and might not fit in the space provided. Mounting a larger switch in a different location might be possible.
The original switch fails because it has to handle all the motor current. The factory should have used additional contactors in between but that would have cost more.

Well i have a switch on the way from Grizzly, and i found what appears to be a similar switch on amazon for about $15.. i ordered it as well to compare.

I do have concerns about my motors, they are old (20 years), i don't know how many hours as the machine has sat for years until recently, last 3-4 months i guess. Grizlzly says the motors are no longer available, when i do lose one, assuming the switch solves my current issue, I am not sure what i am going to do... might try a dc motor conversion....

Variable speed on a lathe is nice to have, some people take treadmill motors and adapt them

You could also try a 3 phase motor and a variable freq drive. Less maintenance than a dc motor, unless it's brushless.

I've read that you lose significant performance with a 3 phase and vfd. treadmill motor was the route i was thinking if i have to go that way.

My issue is resolved. I replaced both switches and all is working as it should. I ordered a switch from grizzly that dropped right in. I also ordered a 20amp switch from Amazon, both came in the same packaging with Chinese instructions. The Amazon switch appeared heavier, has a more solid feel when you turn it, but required some 'adjustments' before it worked right, but at $12 compared $47 I think it was a deal. And with a new working switch in hand to compare I know where the original switch was broken So i could possibly fix it for a spare..

Good deal, would be helpful if you could post the part #s/vendor info in case someone else has the same problems

This is the switch from Amazon I ordered. i did have to open it up and adjust the plastic wheels inside to get them to open and close at the correct spots.

The Grizzly switch part number is: P9729318A
i also ordered the 50uf capacitors for the motors, one had blown off awhile back. P9729111T-1V3 R CAPACITOR 50M 450V 4 X 1-7/8 V3.01.12

frankly i am not sure what the 50uf capacitor is for. after i installed the new switch the motor worked fine, forward and reverse, before i installed the 50uf capacitor.

Back