I am building a wood lathe, 12" swing and about 5 ft center to center; I made patterns for the head and tailstocks and had the cast in iron, I am presently laying them out for machining, as the pictures will show. I had made the headstock some time back to use on an Oliver patternmaker's lathe, hence many of the parts are already made for the headstock, My original design for the headstock was faulty, as the lack of the tie bar on top of the original headstock was not rigid enough, which made the bearings run rough and noisy. I added the tie bar to the existing pattern, and made a new pattern for the tailstock. The step cone pulleys came off a small hand screw machine made by the Frieden Calculator Co. of SF Cal. during WW-2, and are cast iron. The two aluminum pulleys provide for two speed ranges so that large faceplate work could be done. The bed will be about 2X8 oak with cold rolled flat screwed on the top; legs will likely be oak also.