Wood Machinist Box

MrCrem

Registered
Registered
I recently was shown a few pictures of a wood box... An 11 drawer machinist box. From what I can see, it has green felt covered galvanized metal bottoms... I was wondering about the manufacturer. I don't think its a Gernsner, maybe Union or something else. I don't know how many makers there were so I post here.IMG_0262 (2).jpgIMG_0252 (2).jpg

IMG_0262 (2).jpg IMG_0252 (2).jpg

nice box the metal bottom is a sign of Gerstner & Sons look under the bottom drawer
and you well see a sign or not. a lot of other boxes were built be Gerstner& Sons
Bob

When my grandfather died in 1983, I rescued his old box from his basement. It was covered in a thin green leatherette and had some water damage. A lot of the hardware was missing or damaged. I stripped off the leatherette and replaced all the hardware. I've looked for some type of identifying marks but haven't found them. I don't know how old it is but I know he retired in the early 60s and he had owned it for a number of years before that.

P1160434.JPG

P1160434.JPG

All the Gerstner's I've seen are stamped inside on the bottom of the case. The clasp on the front is usually also stamped.
Could be a Union.. I have a 7 drawer that looks similar and they did use the tin drawer bottoms on at least some of their boxes.

Look for the residue of a label on one of the wide drawers.. the shape could be a clue to the manufacturer.

Well as they say... upon further review... I went to see the boxes this friend had acquired. He had Three. One pictured below is a Gernsner . He also has a Lufkin 7 drawer wood box and a 2 drawer Kennedy... all of the boxes are filled with tools. The Gernsner had the numbered drawers and the name stamped on the bottom plate. curious though... It had a Yale lock on it.
The Lufkin is in much better shape... Lufkin stamped lock and a rectangular Lufkin name badge, bottom center inside the lid .

In the past, Gerstner would look over your tool box and tell you the year that it was made.
They have a open house and sale in June. You can buy all the hardware for the boxs, wood
and unfinished box's too. Just look them up on the web for the date.

Back