Wood Machinists box at Costco

They were $69.99 at the San Jose Costo if my girlfriends memory is correct (I actually though they were $79.99).

You never can tell what Costco is going to have. I think they depend a lot on opportunistic buying for things like these tool chests. This one looks nothing like the chests I got.

Take a drawer out and look at how the bottom is attached. If it is just stapled onto the drawer,with no rabbet joint,it will not hold much weight,possibly. I have heard of the bottoms falling out of wooden tool chests. The bottom needs to fit into a groove near the bottom of the drawer. Metal is best,but if it is inlet,1/8" plywood is o.k.,too.

Last edited:
George
I had looked at the HF chests for over a year, but I got one of these Costco chests for Christmas. The drawer bottoms are fitted into grooves and are probably 1/8" MDF. It seems plenty sturdy. On the downside, unlike the HF chest, this one will not "lock" against casual non-authorized borrowing. So I drilled a hole through the catch for a small padlock.
Greg
You never can tell what Costco is going to have. I think they depend a lot on opportunistic buying for things like these tool chests. This one looks nothing like the chests I got.

Take a drawer out and look at how the bottom is attached. If it is just stapled onto the drawer,with no rabbit joint,it will not hold much weight,possibly. I have heard of the bottoms falling out of wooden tool chests. The bottom needs to fit into a groove near the bottom of the drawer. Metal is best,but if it is inlet,1/8" plywood is o.k.,too.

That first picture just shows rabbits{groves} instead of metal drawer guides. What keeps it from coming out of the chest when you pull it out past half way to get the tool bit in the back ?
*********Just Saying**********Gator**************

That first picture just shows rabbits{groves} instead of metal drawer guides. What keeps it from coming out of the chest when you pull it out past half way to get the tool bit in the back ?
*********Just Saying**********Gator**************

That is the one disadvantage of wood machinists chests whether it is a cheap imitation or a genuine Gerstner. Metal drawer slides take up too much space when trying to put as many drawers with the required wood thickness in a common sized case. Lots of tools have ended up on the floor over the years by careless owners....but a Gerstner sure is a thing of beauty as far as a tool chest is concerned. Me, I'm too poor to own one.:p

Darrell

Frankly,I have not been impressed
by the new Gerstner chests. They say made of quarter sawn white oak. But,it is hard to find a drawer that shows the medullar ray structure that truly quartered oak really has, Their "International" chests are made of red oak,I think.

I picked up a nice box at Costco yesterday. This is a real nice wood box, seems to be well made, with stainless steel furniture. At $65 it seems to be a good value. It is so much nicer than the junk at HF.

post-37713-0-63918700-1420988783.jpg

It's a fairly nice box, although I'm up to my eyeballs with Kennedy boxes (long story) however I got one, for my wife to use as a jewelry box.
She loves it!

Grumpy Gator

Frankly,I have not been impresses by the new Gerstner chests. They say made of quarter sawn white oak. But,it is hard to find a drawer that shows the medullar ray structure that truly quartered oak really has, Their "International" chests are made of red oak,I think.

George, I agree with you that the oak is certainly not the quarter sawn used on the older chests. The international series is red oak and is probably a o.k. lower cost alternative box. My comment about Gerstner boxes being a thing of beauty should have been prefaced as a old Gerstner box is a thing of beauty. At first blush the new ones look nice but side by side with a nice old one the difference in the beauty of the wood in the old one is remarkable. Some day I would still like to own one, old or new, but common sense tells me my Kennedy's work just fine. Just going off everyone's photos, if I just needed more storage, the Costco boxes look like a bargain and quite a bit nicer than the Harbor Freight one.

Darrell

Back