Wood Machinists box at Costco

That question has been raised and discussed many times, but the most common answers are:
1. So the machinist could comb his hair and make himself look presentable before leaving at the end of the day.
2. So the machinist could use it to help remove a metal sliver from one's eye.

There may have been other reasons given, but those are the only two I remember.

Both sound logical. Maybe to clean the oil slung on his face off.

Got mine yesterday. It smelled a little funny, but not too bad. I like the fact that the drawers come out. It makes it easier to organize them. I'm also thinking that I can remove the whole drawer and take it to the work with all the tools in it if necessary.

I'd say that if you don't have a wooden tool box already you really can't go wrong for the price. I already had one, but I think this is useful for the added space.

By the way:

"Lol. Does that work with yours? Mine would just remember the $140 part ever time she brought it up. Something like "You just bought a $140 tool box."

Yes it does. My wife knows that I can be one cheap (I prefer "frugal") bastid when I wanna be. I worked in procurement most of my life. My wife says I should write a book about it.

I have an "international" 10 drawer. it's nice wood but the drawers will go in the floor with no stops also no guides have to use 2 hands to open the large drawers. Still quite serviceable and half the price as the "real thing" Face it owning the real deal is a statement, "I have arrived". If you just want to store your stuff a Kennedy will do just fine. Something for the grand-kids to fight over when I am dead along with my saddleback leather bags.

Just checked price of these 99.99 if you can find one. Not such as great a deal any longer me thinks. I picked up an old Gerstner that needed some TLC with some new parts. Total was around $150 and I spent money on American stuff just saying.
CH

One difference in these cheap tool chests is in the fit of the drawers in the case (quite sloppy); my old Gerstner, bought in the 1960s (black walnut) the drawers are a close fit in the case, but never bind; the cheap offshore Gerstner line has sloppy drawers as well. The only problem I ever had was a joint in the front corner of one of the drawers came loose; I glued it back together and all is well. This was the largest Gerstner box made at the time, with the center drawer for the Machinery's Handbook; cost ----$ 76.00 ---- but that was when journeyman wages were $5/hr.

Frankly,I have not been impressed
by the new Gerstner chests. They say made of quarter sawn white oak. But,it is hard to find a drawer that shows the medullar ray structure that truly quartered oak really has, Their "International" chests are made of red oak,I think.
I would think just the outter case is qtr sawn. its much more expensive because of how it's cut.. less yield.

Back