Wood/ Metal Cutting Band Saw

Ron Bontz

Registered
Registered
Yes, yet another dumb question. I am in need of a metal cutting band saw to cut various non ferrous and ferrous metals, but having a very small shop my 18" wood band saw or something else would have to go. So now I am thinking a wood/ metal cutting band saw. I have looked at three so far. Jet 18" 6 speed ( pulley system with 3 speeds for metal ), Grizzly pseudo 18" with a VFD variable speed, and a Shop Fox VFD 18" as well. None of these is actually 18" deep with the fence on, by the way.
I have also looked at a Craftex which looks like a Shop Fox. ( Probably the same factory )
So I am looking for folks that have had experience with any of these combo machines. Thank you.

I suspect that shifting gears for speed and changing the blades will get old in a hurry, not to mention oil in the woodworks, and sawdust in the metalworks.

Is there no way you could squeeze in the little 4x6 horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw? It can even be rolled around for storage when not needed.

If using the same machine could you not change pullies or use a VFD on your current saw?

I've seen posts here about converting the wood bandsaws to allow for metal ( usually a VFD implementation I think?)... MSC is running a sale on the Vetrx saws. I know nothing about them. I recently found an old Grob 16" that I now love and adore. DoAlls are around on ebay too. It's a really good Q btw! I hunted and really did not know what to do either. Wood, metal, both. Both=$$ for new as I found. Used was perfect for me. Some conversion for wood metal posts are in the site someplace. I'll see if I can find a few.

What about a PortaBand?

I would be looking at 12v worm drive windshield wiper motors to convert one.

Well as I continue my saga to find the "right" mill for my needs and desires that I can actually afford..... I was looking at the Grizzly G0757, horizontal vertical mill. Anyone have first hand experience with these? Thank you.

I use several band saws and have a very small shop. I have a Porta-Band Saw, a Taiwan 14" Wood band saw modified with a 3rd reduction to slow it down for steel and a 6" riser to cut 12" height (for cutting logs into bowl blanks). I also have a HF Horizontal 4" where I fabricated a hydraulic drop control, and literally mounted to a hand truck (dolly) so I can wheel it in and out of the garage when I need it. A VFD on a 14" band saw is a good option, but you need to have a horizontal for cutting large stock.

IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0824.JPG IMG_0825.JPG IMG_1039 (Medium).JPG

I like the idea of using a hand dolly but if have to make some folks down legs or that would kill my back.

I have a rong fu H/V band saw I mounted on the base of a shopping cart , it's pretty low so I can roll it under somthing else when not in use so it is out of the way , works good

My Delta ,is a 2 speed vertical cut saw. For metal cutting it has a speed reduction gear box and it requires a different length belt for steel versus wood. Since I am not doing much woodworking it stays in the steel cutting configuration. Changing from one cutting type to another takes about 20-30 minutes but I am old. It seems like it cuts slowly (by hand pressure) but it sure beats the 12" hand held hacksaw.
Have a good day
Ray

Back