Wood or metal bench for lathe?

Amigo

Registered
Registered
Would not the bench, base or support depend primarily on the lathe and what is expected of it?

Wood or metal, just be sure the thing is very strong,, and heavy.
Far as the top goes,, i,d want nothing other than a formed up sheet metal top, worth buying a sheet and getting the sides bent up in a brake, makes a nice top, very easy to clean up , especially oils, and chips etc.

Home brew is good, but I usually buy elevator bolts for leveling legs.

Your bench looks good.

Good description, Turbo. I have done that sort of thing for heavy loads. The elevator bolts aren't available over 3/8" as I recall, so they work well for smaller projects. Tee nuts can be fitted into the ends of the legs and then a jam nut snugged up against them to lock the leg in place.

I have my surface plate leveled with something like these:

There are rubber skid pads on the bottom. I have some in 5/8-11 that are delrin footed. When I finish rebuilding my compressor, they will go there.

You're absolutely right. You can't buy that satisfaction.

Those feet are about $13.00 each. I can't make them for that, to be sure.

I wonder if, on yours, you'd benefit by putting some isolation damping material under the feet, between the 4 x 6" and the concrete. Some scrap big rig mud flap material is very tough and would give a little and reduce vibratory noise. Just keep your eyes open on the road to find one that has fallen off a truck. Happens all the time.

I'm thinking that you may find a resonating rumble or droning just from the motor. It always seems to work out that way for me, and I try to get rubber under feet, especially if they are large, like your 4 x 6's will be. I'd definitely do it, were it mine.

It would be easy enough to come back later and do, if you needed it.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing but we tend to use hockey pucks for noise and vibration damping. They can be machined to fit the feet so they don't slide and drilled to accept a through bolt. Had them under my 80gal 5hp compressor for over 20 yrs.

I can honestly say I have never seen a hockey puck in person. Not really popular here, except in Dallas (Stars). Maybe there is a market for them in the For Sale forum. ;)

I felt my own move up at the thought of that. Did the coach ever have any more kids?

Back