Wood shop flammable liquids storage.

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
I have a 14'x10' wood shed that I am converting into my metal/wood working shop and have been thinking about all of the flammable liquids I currently have stored in my shed. What are the pros/cons on buying a used truck tool box and setting it outside away from the shed and using that for storing flammable liquids? I live in Greensboro NC so no worry about it being covered up with snow as that usually melts in a day or two. I also would store in under a canopy of mature oaks so no direct sun except in the winter.

Seems to me like that may be a viable solution. The municipal maintenance yard here has a "paint locker" separate from the shops and across a driveway, so yours would be much the same idea only smaller.

I wonder if there were a better container other than a truck tool box though, maybe something more vertical and with shelf capability. School locker, maybe? Whatever it is, I suggest it be clearly and properly marked so that if first responders arrive (for whatever reason) they'll at least be able to identify it right away.

It's pretty easy to amass a fair supply of different chemicals, solvents, paints etc, and especially so for multiple disciplines like wood and metal. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on the matter.

-frank

Off hand, I cannot think of any cons. I would like to see good ventilation, both near the top, and the bottom. Might set kit one some cinder blocks,

Any type of metal box, will work. I have an old red light switch box, that I painted a light tan color, and use if for gasoline. Its in the back yard, on the north side of a line of bushes, out of sight. On the north side of the garage (Property faces south), I have a cheap metal locker for paint and such. Also have a metal cage I picked up for storing the BBQ propane, out back near the gads locker.

FYI, for propane you want the cylinders stored upright, that way if they do get hot and vent, it is just gas vapor, not liquid escaping. They claim the liquid escaping, can freeze the safety valve open, potentially causing a bigger issue.

I know, its off track a bit, hoping it helps others w=reading this thread.

Off hand, I cannot think of any cons. I would like to see good ventilation, both near the top, and the bottom. Might set kit one some cinder blocks,

Any type of metal box, will work. I have an old red light switch box, that I painted a light tan color, and use if for gasoline. Its in the back yard, on the north side of a line of bushes, out of sight. On the north side of the garage (Property faces south), I have a cheap metal locker for paint and such. Also have a metal cage I picked up for storing the BBQ propane, out back near the gads locker.

FYI, for propane you want the cylinders stored upright, that way if they do get hot and vent, it is just gas vapor, not liquid escaping. They claim the liquid escaping, can freeze the safety valve open, potentially causing a bigger issue.

I know, its off track a bit, hoping it helps others w=reading this thread.
Thanks for propane info as I plan on having one of those tanks. I do have a small set of oxygen/acetylene tanks in my shed and plan on notifying my local fire department and also putting up appropriate safety sign depending on the fire department recommendations.

I would approach it as "I'm thinking about getting an OA welding setup, what measures do I need to take?". York Pa fire department gave my Neighbor all kinds of ^%$%%^ wanting to inspect his place every 6 months. He finally stored them at my house, and told the FD that he sold them. Courts have recognized that codes inspectors can demand access to any place without a warrant, as they are suposadly inspecting for the public's safety.

While codes are useful, I have little use for code inspectors. In this state, they have the same status as any other public officer. Got a warrant? Then "git". My houses predate any codes by about 50 years. As far as I'm concerned, they have no bearing to speak of.

I have a barn, sort of, behind the shop. Maybe 50 feet, 75 feet from the residence. There is stored all the flammables(?) I can; OA torch rig and tanks, gunpowder, propane cylinders, paints and thinners, solvents, all that stuff. There are signs for the fire department if it ever comes to that, I hope not.

The only thing in my shop is a spray can of carburator cleaner and a half pint of acetone. Of course, my shop is a wood structure, ex-residence, but the thought still matters even if it was hollow block.

Superburban, thanks for the suggestion and I will re-phase my talk with the fire department to be only that I am thinking about buying a OA rig. My wood shop is about 50' behind my residence.

Last edited:
Back