Wood Splitter on 3 Point Hitch

Stob

Active User
Registered
A few years ago I made a splitter that attached to the Bobcat I had at the time. The Bobcat had the hydraulic lines in place, so I used it's hydraulics.

I have since sold the Bobcat and now have a L2550 Kabota. The hydraulic pump isn't very big and I doubt would have enough flow.

So I can cut off the plate that attached to the Bobcat and weld on a bottom bar and a top link to mount it on the hitch, but I will need a tank and a means of a pump. The tank isn't so much of an issue, but I need to drive a pump off of the PTO. This tractor does have a 1000rpm gear for the PTO, but I think I should gear a pump higher, I'm thinking by chain and sprockets. I know there are PTO pumps available, but they are much more expensive that a shaft driven pump. There is one PTO pump that is not too expensive but I wonder about the quality since it is almost half the money of a Pierce or the like.

So I'm spinning my wheels here wondering if someone here has some ideas. Perhaps some pics of similar projects?

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
I think its an L3000 DT that I have, your right the pump on these tractors is too small for much other than the loader. I built a splitter similar to what your suggesting.

107-0705_IMG.jpg

The photo is 10 or 12 years old, doesn't look as shinny now.
To get enough flow I mounted a pump on the front of the tractor and drive it off the crank. Mine has a spline (odd metric one that I had to get a mate from Kubota) on the front of the crank. The pump bolts to the frame, everything was in alignment so I used chain couplers on either end of a short driveshaft to drive it. There was enough room ahead of the rad to mount a small tank to feed the system. The lines run to the back with a valve to let the oil circulate when the flow isn't needed.

Greg

107-0705_IMG.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock