Wood to Metal Bandsaw Conversion

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This comes up often, so I'll post what I did. It was a quick job, not pretty but it works. Not much to this project, maybe took a half day to complete.

I picked this saw up at auction for $25, it needed a little love to in addition to the conversion. I had to build a new lower blade guide assembly, and repair the keyway in the main wheel drive shaft.

1543600509305.png

1543600544891.png

In this case I just used parts I had on the shelf rather than buying anything. Not ideal but it has been working for years. Cuts anything from tool steel to wood. I do buy good bi-metal M42 cobalt blades fo it, have a local vendor make them up for me.

I replaced the original 3/4 hp motor with a 1/2 hp, 2 speed motor and 30:1 right angle gearbox, a 15:1 gearbox might be a better choice. The rod on right is the belt tensioner, I had a spring on it, but it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

Must have a spider living in there, a few cobwebs in the corner :)
1543600722797.png

The motor mount plate is hinged with a couple of heavy cabinet hinges, allows the motor assembly to swing to easily do speed changes.
1543601098031.png

The motor belt drives this original countershaft assembly. I may have purchased the wheel drive pulley, I think the keyway was completely gone in the original as I recall.
1543601284369.png

1 1/4 thick 4150
1543601689679.png

If I ever break this one maybe I'll get a DoAll :)

Last edited:

Dabbler

Administrator
Staff member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Very nice - easy and it works - what else is there?

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I have a 14” Delta wood saw that i’d Like to do this to. Would Jim or anyone have a source for the gearbox?
Thanks!

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I use Automation Direct gearboxes https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...cal)/general_purpose_cast_iron_worm_gearboxes

I would recommend a 10:1 or 15:1 depending on the wheel size of the particular saw, rated at the input HP you plan on using.

The ideal system would use a 1725 RPM (4 pole), 3 phase motor and a sensorless vector VFD for speed control, and along with that, a step pulley for different speed ranges. Ideal would be about 40 - 1000 FPM to cut any material.

Last edited:

Dabbler

Administrator
Staff member
Winegrower, our version of Harbor Fright, called Princess Auto is selling a gearbox for their Horizontal Bandsaw, so the reduction would be perfect, for $25 Canadian... It might be an option if the other ones are too much money (although shipping would be a killer)

Aukai

That works nicely.

Winegrower

Thanks, Jim and Dabbler. I will check HF here, and now I know there is a $160 upper bound. That is reasonable for the utility I’d get. Oh boy!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock