Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
My neighbor brought me a wooden reindeer to see, that his grandfather had made in the 1980's.
i thought it was so cool that i asked him if i could copy the reindeer and make them for other friends and family.
he was stoked that i could reproduce them and gave the blessing.
i purchased a 1/2 sheet of very nice 15/32 birch plywood, that could create a small herd of the wooden creatures!
the finished reindeer is about 24" tall at the antler tip about 8" wide at the widest points and 16" long, tail to nose.

i made a direct tracing onto the birch plywood for the first cut outs, subsequent clones will be traced from the master i now have!
i used a 7-1/4" skillsaw with a plywood blade to cut the 1/2 sheet to more manageable size, to do the fine cutting with a scroll saw.
a shopsmith with a 100 grit 12" sanding disc was used to clean up the edges.
i still have some clean up & finishing to do, but here is the first prototype...

2015-12-05.jpg 2015-12-05.jpg

more to come.......
thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Nice work. Your becoming quit the carpenter . next project CNC router table.

Thanks for the replies!!!:D

here's a compliment to the reindeer i made earlier. This time it's a Mule Deer ...
the plan is essentially the same, but the materials and a couple dimensions have changed.

This time i used a beautiful 1x12 Western Cedar Plank to construct my version of the odocoileus hemionus.
This clone will be for outside decoration.
i'm not going to put any finish on the creation, letting nature reclaim the effigy in her own time.

2015-12-05.jpg

and here's a picture of a happy holiday scene!
2015-12-05.jpg

thanks for reading!:D

Last edited:
if anyone is interested in a scan to reproduce the reindeer, i would be happy to share the information.
start a conversation with me or reply in this thread and i'll get the scans to you!
Happy Holidays to All!

Back