Woodstock Lathe Motor Question

vwmann1

Registered
Registered
I have a Woodstock M1017 Lathe/Mill combo. The lathe motor went out on me this weekend mid project. I took the motor to a local motor repair shop and the guy told me it is a European motor. Don't know what that means. Anyways he replaced the run capacitor and it seams to run fine now. I am a little concerned that this motor may be on its way out so I would like to replace it with a motor that can be repaired locally ect. The current motor is 1.5 hp 110v 16 amp turns 1680 rpm and is reversible. I have anything from three phase on down in my shop so I can put anything in there. Any ideas/suggestions? I would not mind increasing the hp if I could at the same time. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would go with the 3 phase 220 volt. easy reverse lest electrics.

Most likely the lathe is metric, since it is made in China. There are a number of motor manufactures that sell metric motors in either single phase or three phase, so it should be easily replacable. Three phase would be more ideal, but it would require a completely new wiring control system for the lathe portion of your machine and the main power transformer is 110V. Not sure it is worth the effort, if you go 220V 3 phase, probably easier to run it off of a VFD rather then rebuild the control system. Leeson and Marathon make decent metric motors that won't break the bank. Might be easier to stick with what you have, now that you replaced the start capacitor. Not uncommon for them to fail, especially with a lot of start/stops one does on the lathe and the mill.

Sounds like a metric size motor, any idea what the frame size is?

Most motors made here will be 1725 or there abouts. You will most likely have to change pulleys.
IMHO, less than 3% differfnce will not matter very much to the machine's operation.
I would check the no load speed on the original motor as 1680 RPM sounds a little odd, maybe a lot of motor slip.
Oh, wait a minute, I am in Australia (50 Hz). Silly me!:foot in mouth:
John.

Thanks for the input. The repair shop has found me a 3-phase motor if I decide to go that route. Is there any benefit to going three phase over the 110 motor. I don't mind doing the rewire stuff if there is a real benefit. These questions all fall into a bigger question if I keep this unit or get something bigger/better. I bought a Bridgeport last year so the mill section is just in the way at this point.

OK Got motor back. Runs fine. Repair tech said it is a 90s frame motor. Never heard of that size. Anybody point me in the right direction to convert this to three phase?

Back