[4]

Woodworkers, I need a cutter/rotary file

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have a machine that uses a sanding roll to shape balsa, density 5 to 12 lbs per ft sq. I want to shape pine, density 25 to 30 lb per ft sq. The sanding rolls wear out 'way too fast.

Is there a 7/8" to 1" diameter steel cutter (two to three inches long) that would have .750 hole through it, or one I could put a .750 hole or sleeve in it? I'm picturing a wood rasp wrapped around a core. Even a perforated sleeve could be made to work.

Edit: correct typo

Last edited:

homebrewed

Registered
You might be able to make something using planer knives. For the ultimate (but expensive) solution you might be able to use a spiral cutter.

francist

Active User
They're out there, but not sure how easy to come by or how expensive. I've used the garden variety small ones from the hardware store and depending on the brand they work ok, if they're sharp and not clogged. Pine likes to clog with the resin, but you already know that. A brush or file card will keep your cutter clear(er).

Capture rotary rasp.JPG

Search for 'rotary rasp' and you'll get hits. I'm not sure what is around in your area that would be tempting.

-frank

WarrenP

Registered
If I remember right Home Depot sells that type of rotary rasp. I think I have one.... somewhere

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Make a drum out of aluminum and glue 40 grit sand paper to it.

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I imagine the pitch from the pine is gumming the sand paper. Try using Crepe Rubber and clean your sanding belts. might get you some extra miles. Its the same rubber they used in shoe soles when I was a kid. Any wood worker supply sells it. Just rub it on a running sanding belt.
Also clear pine should have less pitch or sap pockets, make sure it is well dried.

Cheers
Martin

[6]
[5] [7]