Woodworking Fixtures From A Complete Hack

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
unusual or unconventional thinking, can be utilized to achieve any end, for better or worse.
this thread is meant to demonstrate how i accomplished my ends.
i wouldn't recommend anyone do the things, like this, i do.
nor would i recommend attempted modification of your equipment or tools without careful consideration of the consequences,
intended or not.

I am not a woodworker,
yet, i walk through the bog, whenever i feel brave.
after working with metal most of my existence, i find working with wood to be a challenge.
i want to work in thousandths, but find fractional or metric measurements easier

this time i'm making another yard art piece.
( i'll disclose the building of the art in another thread)

SOAP BOX:
i'm not into thinking when i have a lot of them to cut, i want ZERO thinking, just doing
do the thinking before you start, is my belief-
think when you encounter an obstacle not planned for in the thinking phase

to achieve the non thinking part requires the fabrication of fixtures and jigs.

I digress...

Fixture 1
The plan:
i needed to make a bunch or reclaimed wood 3/4" x 1.900" x 12" pieces
the 3/4" thickness part is easy, i got a cedar fence board that comes in close enough
the 1.900" wide is not a significant problem, i have a 10" contractor's table saw with a fence
the 12" could be done on the contractors saw, but then marking and measuring would need to be done to each piece.
instead i'm going to use the delta 10" saw my dad bought for me over 10 years ago.
(i kick the snot out of the poor thing, but it still cuts straight and fast)
i made a very simple fixture to cut 12" long pieces, from a 2x2 drop and a new 3/4"x 8"x 60" fence board

IMG_3610.jpg IMG_3611.jpg

i made it by drilling and tapping the deck to 1/4"-20 tpi in 2 opposing spots about 8" on either side of the blade.
i used countersunk 1/4"-20 x 1" machine screws to just below deck height, and tightened them down.
i took a test cut through the fence board and established 12" and marked it.
i attached the 2x2 with 2 wood screws at the 12" mark.

i did all the 12 inch cuts in less than 10 minutes!!! YIPPEE

Fixture 2
The plan:
i needed to cut circles in a couple different woods
i came up with this idea many moons ago when i needed to make some 8" diameter plugs from 1-1/4" thick butcher board sheets
i had a meat cutting bandsaw and a 10" tablesaw, router, and a milling machine
i made a simple fixture for the bandsaw and it worked like a champ.

expanding on the idea,
i drilled and tapped some holes in the deck of my Skil 3386-1.3 and in an extension piece i fabricated and installed.
you can see the radii are marked @ 5-1/2" and 6" to make 11" and 12" circles
IMG_3619.jpg IMG_3618.jpg

here is the fixture in action on 5mm birch plywood
IMG_3616.jpg IMG_3617.jpg

with a little ingenuity, 5-1/2" and 6" radii can be cut

IMG_3614.jpg IMG_3615.jpg

i attached the work to a sacrificial holder made from scrap wood and cut the 6" radius in an 8" fence board near perfectly.

IMG_3613.jpg IMG_3612.jpg

i hope these fixtures may help a fellow hack in days to come.
they already helped me to jump a couple hurdles.
maybe just the ideas may spring forth greater invention for all!

as always,
thanks for reading, asking questions, and commenting!

One of my band saw tables has a series of holes drilled into it, (1/16th holes) 1/4" apart out to 8 1/2 inches, for cutting propellers the correct lenght. IE,. a 12" prop cuts to diameter with a pin in the 6" hole. It's used quite often, as I make props from 6" to 17 inch. I've made in the neighborhood of 2,000 props in the last 4 years.

Seems like you could combine the miter saw idea with the bandsaw idea...make a thinnish plate with a pin center, then position it on the bandsaw table at the desired radius. Clamp it to the table on the far side of the blade. No drilling or tapping into the table.

I use stops all the time in the cabinet shop. Quite often accuracy is second to repeatability. The back fence on your chop saw has holes drilled for a secondary fence, I use 3/4 plywood a couple of inches wide, up to 8 feet long. Clamp a stop to the plywood fence at the desired spot, pieces are identical.

Greg

Mike you are definitely not a complete hack. I have you beat by a mile or more in that department. My high school shop teacher didn't refer to everything that I made as a "mell of a hess" without good reason.

Back