Woodworking style aluminum boxes

Sharky

Active User
Registered
In a bout with insomnia last night I had the crazy idea of making some small boxes out of aluminum, but with a wood working twist. I was thinking about 1/4" aluminum sides with dovetail or box joints, box bottom in a rabbited groove and a sliding acrilic top. Has anyone tried this?

Finger or dovetail joints would certainly add a nice appearance, though without side/end grain like wood, the aluminum joints would not show as much contrast or appear as spectacular. Slightly different anodizing colors for sides vs front and back?:thinking:

-AND-

Those types of joints depend on glue to hold them together! Don't know what you'd substitute in the cast of aluminum - possibly drill down the joint and insert a long, thin pin?? Also recall, the rabbeted joint for the bottom of a wooden box is generally a bit loose, so as to accommodate uneven swelling with temperature/moisture changes. Aluminum isn't subject to much dimensional instability. You should probably make the joint relatively tight, or else the bottom would rattle.

The acrylic top would be a nice touch. Just be sure to clean up the aluminum parts, both inside and out!

I have seen plane bodies with steel/brass. If you did a box, you could do aluminum/brass. Instead of glue, leave things a little oversize, peen the tails, and then finish to size. Sounds like an interesting project.

I was thinking I'd drill and pin the tails to lock the joints, put a dab of silicone inside the rabbit for the bottom and matbe do polished sides with brushed ends to give it contrast at the joints.

Hmmm..... the brain wont stop!

Tried a little "proof of concept" today:

Alu+Box+Joint+1.jpg

Alu+Box+Joint+2.jpg

Didn't feel like big set-up, so I locked 2 pieces of 1/4" aluminum bar stock and
plowed thru with a 1/4" endmill at 1/4" depth, eyeballed the spacing.
A little cleanup with a file and a rubber hammer.... tight fit and you still see the joint detail.

I think I might have a winner!

Alu+Box+Joint+1.jpg Alu+Box+Joint+2.jpg

That's something I had considered before but shop time is limited and other items have priority. Looks good though. Maybe a good task for a multi cutter setup on a horizontal as long as the pieces are not too long.

What are your plans for it?

I'm actually toying with the idea of using a table saw jig, carbide tipped tools work good on aluminum. That way, set-up is quick and repeatable so I can make a bunch at one time.

I'm planning on using them as drawer inserts for smaller tools, maybe throw some neo-magnets in the bottoms so I can take the box out of the drawer and "stick" it next to whatever I'm working on. I like the feel of metal over plastic and gives me the chance to play with some ideas while making something useful.

Dove tails are nice but I like the look of Keyed Joints better.Think bright polished Al with a red anodized key. Gorilla glue works on Al.
**************Just Saying****************************G***********************************************

Back