Woohoo!!! Just pulled the trigger on fully equipped Haas TL1!

Woah, tight fit! Congrats on pulling that one off without taking sledgehammers to the wall.

Do you guys ever wonder what's going to happen when we get too old and beat-up to get this stuff out of the houses?

Ray

Hah! Ray, I ask the same question all the time! But I think getting rid of the stuff is the easy part. Just price it to sell quick and the newcomer will be salivating enough to easily "slide" it through the door...

What truly scares me the most is moving. Right now my garage is cramped with tools and I would like to move to a larger house with a larger shop but when I think about moving a 12x36 lathe and a CNC mill, that truly makes me to reconsider.

BTW, fredybender, those are awesome pictures! It truly made me cringe in horror as I thought of how complicated it must have been to move that puppy down that slope. I would have had a heart attack, no doubt.

Funny sideline. During my moving my Tormach PCNC1100 about three years ago I lost 8 pounds. Stress! No diet like it...

ray when we get too old , its the kids problem , we took care of all there's growing up. :roflmao:

BTW, fredybender, those are awesome pictures! It truly made me cringe in horror as I thought of how complicated it must have been to move that puppy down that slope. I would have had a heart attack, no doubt.

I hired professionnal riggers, as the price of the machine was too high IMO, to attempt this even with friends that operate their own loaders; I can just imagine dropping the lathe, and goodbye investment...

It took 3 guys 3.5 hours to unload it from the flat bed, until its final position;
A few considerations on this move:

1- The lathe is too wide to fit in the sloped walkway; They had to sling it on the driveway, and tilt and lower (just like you would do a V8 engine install with the transmission) in order to clear the protrusion of the floor, above my door.

2- the door sill would not accept the 4200lbs load; so they had to shim steel plates on both sides of the sill and rolled it in with the furtermost tip part of the forks of the lift.

3- the area in front of the double door has a drain, with heavy slopes on all plains going to that center drain, and this would also be too weak to accept the load...

All kinds of fun, but it was worth the effort!

Now I'm a manual lathe guy; I work around CNCs almost every day, but I have to start to work with a control, which is something I have never done in my life! I know it will also be worth it, but I have been reading manuals for the last 3-4 days, and its a rough start :allgood:

good call on the riggers. I enjoy moving stuff as much as the next guy, but at 25k... not worth it. side being experienced, riggers are also insured!:phew:

Congrats on getting the lathe all set. Btw I love them Sciroccos you got there too! Had an '80 Jetta 2dr coupe in college. Fun little cars but they did have a certain "rattle" factor to em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddy,
That is just too wrong. Buy a Haas just to have in case you get work for it. Can I move in and make a mens threesome in your shop? I can bring all of my stuff, but a car or two would have to go just to fit it all. Fortunately my wife supports my addictions so she would not say a word if I bought another bigger lathe or a bigger mill, she just shakes her head and smiles. Gotta love it.

Bob

Just finished installing the 3rd axis drilling spindle; Perfect for bolt circles with the optionnal M19 spindle orientation that came with the lathe.
I bought a Sherline hi-torque 90V DC headstock, and made the attachement for my QCT; just nee to center and align it, and I will get one of the available M code to start it up with the program. It is rated for 330W, which is exactly what output max is the 110V output (such as the coolant pump). with a slow feed and carbide drills rated for higher SFM's I should be ok with the power of the unit. Not looking to make holes bigger than 5/8, and on the larger diameters, I will just enlarge the holes to keep the power down...

This will enable me to make bolt pattern up to about 12 inches., without removing the turret. This will also enable me to redrill differential axle shafts bolt patterns: on a mill the shaft is long, and I need to make a fixture on the side of the table, in order for the shaft to clear the table. As strong as I made that "outrigger" fixture, I would always get flex, because of overhang, and stud holes would not align perfect... No more!!!

My next project is to make wheels (just like BBS's) with drilled lip, which has about a 14" bolt pattern;
I will desing a jig to fit with dowel pins on the riser block, underneat the turret, and this will allow me to swing to the max of the lathe...

Pics:
P1040093_zps63e6ee7e.jpg
P1040094_zpsd7f8431e.jpg

Last edited:
Back