Work light

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My mill came with 110v worklight that I'd like to reinstall. The previous owner had it connected into the 110v motor wiring so there wasn't an extra plug to worry about.
I switched the motor to 220v so I'm not sure how to accomplish the same arrangement. I know it's possible because plugs are available to adapt 110v from range receptacles. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
This is the existing wiring.

Edit: I don't think this it is possible because I only have two conductors.
990c3c0a2d78349d66eb7a38be10e36a.jpg

Last edited:
Add another 110 light, wire in series over 220?

Hi David,

110v is just one leg of your 220v circuit with the other wire going to neutral. Most North American homes have a 220/240v service where large appliances like stoves and water heaters use both hot legs as 220v and other devices use 110v provided by one of the hot legs and a neutral leg. A ground is also provided which should not be confused with the neutral. Assuming your 220v plug has three wires plus the ground, neutral will be the one not connected to your motor. If it only has the two hot wires and a ground then replace the cord with one that has 4 wires and connect accordingly. There are plenty of websites that explain this and folks on here who can too.

Cheers,

John

You have 110 volts from either of the 220 wires to neutral- I assume your neutral is the green wire and is most likely tied to ground also at the breaker box
You aren't supposed to use the ground as a neutral, but I won't turn you in

You have 110 volts from either of the 220 wires to neutral- I assume your neutral is the green wire and is most likely tied to ground also at the breaker box
It's only a two-wire 220v circuit. You are correct that the green is tied to the ground at the box.
I have several 220v outlets wired this way. Is it incorrect? :oops:

I don't know how they do things in Canada but in the US the neutral and ground are run as separate wires to outlets but they are connected together either at the breaker box and /or at the pole- code frowns on using the ground as a current-carrying conductor but for a light load (like a light) you could
-M

Some 220V outlets include a neutral some don’t. It is poor form to use the ground as a neutral (i.e., potentially dangerous). Your better bet would be to use a 2:1 transformer or two 110V loads in series.

I like the twist lock NEMA L14-20 for shop use since it has all 4 connectors. If you don't have 4 wires going from the panel to the outlet and you can't replace it your other option is to use a step down transformer. There's nothing wrong with a 220v circuit that doesn't have neutral, you just won't be able to pull 110v without it.

John

It's only a two-wire 220v circuit. You are correct that the green is tied to the ground at the box.
I have several 220v outlets wired this way. Is it incorrect? :oops:
I made the same mistake wiring the mill and lathe by not pulling in a neutral
Do not use the ground as a neutral the ground is bare copper and will be conducting current
Can you change to a 3 wire feed easily?
I did not too hard to change I use separate 110 feed for my pump and feed motors

Back