work rest for KMG belt grinder?

+1 - good job on the bit and piece, Alan.

If I have a fussy angle like that, I use a Sharpie to blacken the tool bit and scratch a line with my Starrett protractor. Then I just grind it by hand and check it after grinding to make sure I hit my angle. In the beginning, a protractor can come in handy but I think you'll find that its easier to push the bit into the grinding medium without it.

Don't let me discourage you from making a slotted table or using a protractor, Alan. If that is what you need, then you need it.

Alan is aware of my design, Bob.Thanks for remembering.

Alan, I should think that making a T-slotted table would be simple. Rabbet an edge on two pieces of steel and plug weld them to a third piece that will form the bottom. Then make a miter gauge and you should be set.

mikey, could you please share your design? I'm thinking of building a 2x72 grinder and haven't seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to order a D-D tool rest and go from there. I have a few metal protractors and may well stick to using them after I get the rest. I believe the work rest table is ground so it should be quite good for that.

Here's an Instagram link of Dan's shop and process of building these. EDIT: Don, not Dan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back