Work Shop Talk - 3 in 1 shear brake roller simple mod

I don't use the spring operated hold down, it works as intended, but I found it just got in the way and cut down on visibility of what I was trying to cut.

Interesting thread Jim, it looks like you and C-Bag removed the spring loaded hold down , I do understand why.
A simpler version for a hold down would make shearing metal a lot easier, don't you think?, I have seen others on YouTube and also hman in his other thread come up with some sort of hold down which indicates to me , it is a needed part whether it is phonematic, or spring loaded, I would rather have one as long as it wasn't obstructive or cumbersome to use.
I'm still looking around for a small air cylinder so I could replace the hold down. for now I just do what c-bag, will, and many others do which is to use a vise grip to clamp the sheet metal to the angle iron bracket , I also am planning on extending this support bracket so I get more surface for the sheet to rest on,, may also weld a stop to it to get a perfect 90° cut, an old 6" ruler or try square might work .

What was on the bottom of the hold down on the HACO? Just metal, or some hard rubber feet or?
IIRC, they were solid cast iron with rubber feet so it would not damage the thin gauge brass/Stainless steel surfaces, it was one accurate shear, had adjustable back stop, even the blades cutting gap was adjustable.

I ordered a Shop Fox 24" 3 in 1 , should be here tomorrow . I like the added length of the 90* fence . Has anyone made other modifications ? Mine only comes with one handle but I see quite a few have 2 , that might make it easier for me to use since I could use either hand or both . I'm thinking of a stand would be better for me , one fellow made one which he mounted a shrinker on one end and a stretcher on the other so I guess I should try thinking ahead . I've been watching videos most are just reviews but still learn a little .I did read the manual of a Clarke brand which has much better set-up instruction . https://www.woodstockint.com/products/M1042 Edit : I got my dates mixed up it won't come until next Tuesday , give me time to figure about a stand

Last edited:
I had a sheetmetal project I was hot to do and as I practiced with the 3n1 as often happens, it’s shortcomings and mods came up. An extended table for the shear that folded down when not in use would be what I would shoot for. I have mine on it’s own cart and have very limited floor space. So I can’t have a table sticking out permanently.

I made a plug in table for the break to help stabilize the piece before breaking. I need to go back and finalize that as I used the mounts from shear spring holds and they are still a little low.

Mine included both arms which was why I bought it. Most of the failures have been on 3n1’s with only one arm. And the failure is usually on the cast iron linkage where it dog legs to the shear. I think having only one arm puts more pressure on the side the arm is on. There is probably some miss use of doing thicker material than it’s rated for and possible occlusions in the cast iron too.

Congratulation Alcap, I have a 24" Shop Fox break and use it regularly.
This is just my opinion: I would be very careful forming/cutting 14Ga or even 16Ga mild steel sheets if they are 20" to 24" wide, regardless of whether the break has 2 arms or one, even the single purpose breaks or shears struggle with thick/wide materials.

As Tony mentioned, the combination of low quality cast iron in these inexpensive/hobby tools, and operator error in choosing a thickness beyond the capability of the tool, can easily create problems and likely damage to the tool. just be extra vigilant when using your one arm 3 in one combo .
Before I bought my 24" finger break I asked a few questions from owners and users of single purpose breaks, some owners swear that they can bend 16Ga mild steel 22" x22" sheets, I have never done that with my break and imagine my hand shear would struggles cutting such thickness.

I like the idea of a thread related to all the mods on metal forming and shaping tools.

Where I worked years ago they had 10 foot long HACO shear with foot operated hydraulic hold down, it gave me the idea of using some type of pneumatic cylinder to replace the plate shear hold down but then I thought it would be an overkill for a 12" shear.:apologize:
The problem with the 3n1 is doing 3 very different processes in one machine. The original Polish or Czech machine it was cloned from was not very well received either. Every multipurpose machine I’ve ever seen was a jack of all trades and master of none.

Air powered hold downs would be cool, but it would be a trick to mount where they wouldn’t be in the way. They would also possibly not add to the effort needed to shear depending on how you mount them. After using my 30” with two arms it seems I need and extra hand if I don’t have the part clamped down. That’s why a foot pedal would be handy for me but it would take some noodling to get it worked out. Often solutions come when I’ve been using whatever machine for a while. I feel like I’ve just not spent enough time with this thing.

Back