working mill

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
Ok gents,
I am looking at buying a mill for generating some income.
I dont have 3 phase at this stage. What sort of HP losses will I see with the various options I have for powereing it up from my single phase supply. It is a fair sized machine but I reckon its only working about 70% of its capacity.
IMG_5302a.JPG
IMG_5310a.JPG
Have at it!

Cheers Phil

IMG_5302a.JPG IMG_5310a.JPG

12 Bolts,
Could we get a little better view of the data plate? If we can get a good read of that we can get you fixed up equal to or better than you had. Electric motors are pretty easy to figure out if you have a volts and amps data plate to gather the info off of. Just be sure the data plate matched what you have, mills and lathes do get pretty regular heart transplants so they could be entirely different from the plate too. As long as your Motor Rated HP is for the same speed, nothing changes, if you change motor speeds or change pulley stacks then you will beed to make sure it will still perform, and do the travel speeds calculaions again.
Bob

I don't know much about VDF's but it mite be expensive to got one for a 4hp motor. If it were me I would build a RPC and that way if-n you want to add more 3phase machines later you'll have away to power them.

I have 2 10hp RPC's in my shops, And 9 3 phase machines.

Paul

-->Bob, The plate is on the motor housing so presumably that is what it is. The plate reads 4HP, 208/415V, 60HZ, continuos rating, 1430RPM, not sure what else you want/need off there?

-->Paul, Do I get losses with a RPC? What sort of cost should I expect to pay for something big enough to do the job + some left over........fo future "upgrades"

Cheers Phil

Back