Working on a Van Norman 1/2 Mill

Jimustanguitar

Registered
Registered
I picked up a VN 1/2 mill from Craigslist last month. It's 100ish years old, and it's a pretty neat little machine. It's dirty, and needs to have the cobwebs blown out of it, but I've been biting off little chunks of the restoration project each week, and it's starting to come together. I don't care for aesthetics much at this point, I just want to get it functional and start learning about machining.
rN4fk4m.jpg

The motor is a 3-phase Lima motor with a gearbox, mounted up top. The other photos that I've seen of these machines have the motor mounted down low, and transfer power through a series of belts and pulleys to a bevel gear that turns the corner and actually drives the spindle. The setup on my machine is much simpler than that, although I wish it was mounted sideways and still had the 90deg gear to turn the corner and provide a bit more clearance over the bed.

I got it wired up a few weeks ago, and made my first chips. Since then I've been doing recon on the different systems. I replaced 2 of the pivot bolts on the spindle head because one of them was broken (and they had to match :) ) and last week I oiled the ways and freed up all of the sliding mechanisms. Luckily, there was nice shiny metal hiding on the ways, so she ought to slide nice and smooth without a lot of effort. I need to learn a bit about how to properly adjust the gibs, and then I'll try some more cuts.
FRIwJ1g.jpg

For tooling, this machine uses "type C" collets, which are functionally the same as Hardinge 5V tapers. I snagged a 5/8" collet on Amazon (for a very good price compared to what they've been marked up to, since) and my plan is to chuck up a straight shank 5/8" ER20 collet holder. It's not 100% ideal, but it puts a cheap, replaceable part between the spindle and the work while I learn, and it's a pretty affordable way to buy collets. I also found a face mill arbor on ebay, so that's on its way, too.
c9DJxuJ.jpg

One of the next mysteries that I need to solve is the bed feed mechanism. Most of the mechanicals are gone (there was originally a driveshaft with a UV joint that drove a worm gear on the bed's leadnut) but the worm wheel and mechanism under the table is still there. I couldn't spin it by hand, but I'm going to douse it with penetrating oil this week and see if I can break it loose with a strap wrench enough to work new grease into it and get it spinning nicely.
O5JFCf3.jpg

I've been documenting my journey on my local makerspace's forum but I figured that posting some of the highlights here would also be useful to folks.

Does anybody else have one of these machines? I get the impression that there aren't very many of them out there.
Thanks for reading!

Thanks for posting! Not a lot of information on the web about these and always interesting to see another example. I have one, but the motor on mine is mounted on the floor on the right hand side of the machine (as you face it) and drives a 4 speed transmission via a belt. Other than that mine looks very much like yours. If I get a chance will take a picture of mine and post it as well.

Thanks for posting! Not a lot of information on the web about these and always interesting to see another example. I have one, but the motor on mine is mounted on the floor on the right hand side of the machine (as you face it) and drives a 4 speed transmission via a belt. Other than that mine looks very much like yours. If I get a chance will take a picture of mine and post it as well.
That's awesome, thank you! Right now I'm the most curious about the worm drive for the table feed. Does yours spin like I think mine should?

I've also seen pictures of these machines with a 4th handwheel. One of the old scanned documents I found call this a "quick return". What is it?
aN9SrsT.jpg
Is that how your motor is configured?

Well, I'm not a machinist, just someone that finds a mill handy once in a while and this serves my very basic needs. I can say that it is by far the oldest machine in my shop, but it has been very reliable. I snapped a couple of pictures and will try to help as I can. I took a few quick photos of the feed mechanism to see if we are talking about the same thing. Very interested in following your progress with this machine. Hopefully others who know more than I will chime in.

van norman1.jpg

van norman 3.jpg

van norman 4.jpg

van norman 5.jpg

Well, I'm not a machinist, just someone that finds a mill handy once in a while and this serves my very basic needs. I can say that it is by far the oldest machine in my shop, but it has been very reliable. I snapped a couple of pictures and will try to help as I can. I took a few quick photos of the feed mechanism to see if we are talking about the same thing. Very interested in following your progress with this machine. Hopefully others who know more than I will chime in.

That's very interesting. I was 100% sure that the gear on mine was for a worm or screw... I guess it's a worn gear instead of a worm gear :)
4GWZyf6.pngsohMPPr.jpg

What's that 4th wheel do for you? Does it cause rapid X movement to reset for the next auto-feed pass?

P.S. that's an awesome gear shifter! It's the things like that, that make these old machines so cool.

Yes, the "4th" wheel allows me to bring the table back for another auto feed pass. Can also be use to manually feed the table.

That is so cool. I love the large hand wheels...

So this is a "1/2" model not a "12" ? They are distinctly different machines?
Mark

That's very interesting. I was 100% sure that the gear on mine was for a worm or screw... I guess it's a worn gear instead of a worm gear :)
View attachment 256145View attachment 256146

What's that 4th wheel do for you? Does it cause rapid X movement to reset for the next auto-feed pass?

P.S. that's an awesome gear shifter! It's the things like that, that make these old machines so cool.

I think your gear is for the worm drive. Looks very similar to my No10 Worm gear for the auto feed of the table. The concave in each tooth is machined. I don't see any logical reason why a straight tooth gear would wear like a worm gear (profile).

Back