Working on fixing my lathe.

Thanks for the manual. From googling I found a manual for a Luna ML-1440 that appears to be almost identical to mine (the headstock and electric controls are a little different), which was helpful for figuring out getting the cover off.

My suggestion would be Rotella 10W30 or the 15W40 in a pinch. Synthetic if you want to spend more and feel better.
If the gearbox does not get used often, i would run it periodically just to splash some oil back up on the gears.

I use 5w20 or 0w20, with no bad results Mobil 1 fully synthetic! It wicks everywhere and stays there. Many people have disagreed and vice versa! The difference is noticeable right away and my machines run excellent,m2c.

+1 on the AW32 or ISO32. Farm Supply store.
Been in my 1440 for what - (3) years now? so far no problems. <knocking-on-wood>

Well:
-wiped out the bottom of the gearbox case
-cleaned off the mating surfaces
-over-adjusted one of the gearbox levers again (so, another, fortunately short, bit of time searching for the detent ball and spring)
-moved all the movable gears to one side, and then adjusted the gearbox levers to matching positions
-moved the gearbox cover in place, fiddling with the levers a bit to get them all to engage with the gears, then bolted it on
-tested that all the knobs and levers engaged with their gears properly
-installed the drain plug
-screwed on the cover plate and installed gear levers
-removed the fill plug and filled it up (to the sight bubble) with Shell Tellus S2 VX 32, and reinstalled plug
-ran the lathe for a bit to make sure the gears engaged properly and both the power feed and threading screw were driven properly.

Still to do:
-test that the labels for the knobs are oriented correctly, by actually threading (or rather, just barely scraping a rod) and measuring that the TPI matches what the settings say it should be.

Edit: And I found the Shell 32 oil at my local UFA store (here in Edmonton, it's just a gas bar, but it has the oil in the pretty small "store").

Last edited:
You may wish to post/move this to a separate thread, it probably will get better responses.

"squse my error. see POTD....

Last edited:
When I acquired my latest toy, it's paperwork called for "machine oil #2. Well the local lube suppliers were of no help so, I ask the local shops I hang around and ISO 32, ISO 46 and ISO 68 were all mentioned. The last guy said " See that 55 gal drum? Take that empty way oil can (5gal. ) and fill it up. The drum was all but full of ISO 32." After draining the old oil and refilling the three gear boxes the noise that was made by the machine was cut by 1/3 or more. Since it appears I have enough left in the 5 gal pail for maybe two more changes, I figure I'll run it for a while then drain again to flush out most of the residual old chinese oil. I figure unless I find the fountain of youth, it's a lifetime supply.

Back