Working the bugs out Fugi VFD McLain Mill

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Long story short I got the mill running today. First, I wired it Delta since it is a 2-speed motor and motor ran at Turtle speed even at 80 Hz. I changed it to Star and Bingo speed was great as you will see in the unedited video. I still have some bugs to work out. When I turn the Hz back down from 80 Hz it trips the alarm you will also see in the video. Turning the FDW/REV switch to off and hitting the Program/Reset resets and it will start again with no problems. I may be trying to decelerate too fast and need to change some parameters to correct for this. Also, the high-pitched squeal I am assuming is the noise that everyone talks about from using VFD's. I am hoping the further I get educated I can tune down some of the noise. Here is the link to the unedited video. I am pretty You Tube Illiterate as of now.

Increase the carrier frequency to12 kHz for the whine, it will always be more noticeable as you decrease the frequency. Too rapid a change in speed will cause a VFD fault, I can't look at the parameters until next week as I only have my cell phone. External braking resistor may be needed if it occurs when quickly decreasing the speed.

I did what you said mksj and changed. F 26 to 12 and it quieted the noise right down. Now just the normal motor noise which in this case is very little. I read on another forum that increasing F 08 from 6 to 9 solved the error code and does not shut down at any Hz and works fine. I can't say it enough how helpful the people on this forum have been. I am waiting for the potentiometer to come in so I can install a remote speed pot on the mill below the FWD-REV switch. I still have not figured out the 2 speed FWD-REV drum switch that came with the mill. I have just been using a 3-pole toggle switch to put the VFD and Mill thru its motions. So far, I am not making much progress with the drum switch.

Back