workshop in a shipping container

Nortryder

Registered
Registered
Hi, New guy here. I retired last year and wife and I built our hopefully last house. We did it on the cheap and made no alliance for a garage/workshop. What I do have is a 20 foot shipping container. I have been searching the electronic hi way for ideas. I curious to hear what you all have to say.
Mike

Morning Nortryder,

Welcome to H-M! You will find this forum extremely valuable and helpful. Do a forum search for shipping containers, you will find some member content that will provide some good ideas. Here is one to get you started...

Shipping Container Progress & Storage Ideas

Looks like I'm across the bay from you, I'm over in Saint Albans!

British Army used to have mobile field workshops in 10', 20' and 40' containers. These are complete with insulation, air conditioning and some with attached power plant. Model Engineers Workshop had an article about a purchaser of one at auction relocating on their property, came with machines and tooling.
It's a really good idea just remember to build a roof,(this can double as storage),to stop dirt collection and water puddling. Bigest killer of containers sitting is rusting from the top.

Morning Nortryder,

Welcome to H-M! You will find this forum extremely valuable and helpful. Do a forum search for shipping containers, you will find some member content that will provide some good ideas. Here is one to get you started...

Shipping Container Progress & Storage Ideas

Looks like I'm across the bay from you, I'm over in Saint Albans!
I've seen some great shop ideas. I think that thread from Norway is a video on Youtube as well, No? I saw one regarding a movable shop someone put together a while ago. It was pretty impressive. Right now I have the container but not too many tools. My plan is to pick up a small lathe and mill and hopefully learn how to use them. I have a long history with motorcycles and hope to continue it. I'm right across the lake from you. East shore just north of the state park. I look right at St. Albans Bay.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Until I complete the sale of my place and get moved, I'm working out of a 20 foot container. I've got my 7 inch shaper, 9x20 benchtop lathe, Craftsman industrial drill press, horizontal band saw, and two tool cabinets stuffed inside along with some items in storage in there. It isn't ideal, and mine kind of happened by default, but with some planning I'd bet a decent shop could be set up in a container.

I have owned a 40 footer for 20 years now... It has moved around a lot in that time, but I've loved it for its utility. I set up a little 50A breaker inside with a pair of 230 VAC outlets, a row of 115 outlets down both long sides, and fluorescent fixtures down the middle. I used some overkill fine strand 4-conductor cable (like 1-0 or something ridiculous) to make an umbilical to connect the container to a 230 VAC outlet at the breaker on the house. I set work benches along one wall, and machines along the other, staggered as needed for clearance. The back half is industrial shelving. For the Nevada heat, I installed a squirrel cage vent on the roof at each end, and installed four 16" eve vents about 1' off the ground. Roofing was supplemented with some flame-on urethane polymer sheeting left over from work. Made working inside feel like being in the shade of an awning or tree, which is a lot better than an unmodified container. It worked well for me. The cops were sure I was up to no good in there, and they arrived unannounced with dogs and all the rest. I had a good laugh at their expense and showed them around. Never heard from them again. Neighbors have been curious as I moved around over the years. I've thought about painting it to match the house, but I've since given up. It's now functioning as a storage unit in my home state while I build my long term shop on the property I have now. The container has been good to me, and with the right mods can be a suitable place to set up your shop.

Shipping container as a shop? The craziest thing I've ever heard.....Who wants a 12" lathe, powerfeed drill press, turret (Bridgeport pattern) mill, horizontal bandsaw, 6x12 surface grinder, hydraulic press, tool cabinets, upright compressor airlines inside with bulkhead fittings outside, a 240v 3ph genset outside ran machines, four 4' 2 LED fluorescent fixtures with 110v bell boxes outside.......

Well, that was in a 40' - transported job to job by the contractor who built and installed the entire battery assembly line at Tesla in Reno. The components were built offsite, modifications and one-offs done right inside there.
Compact yes, but not uncomfortable. Beside an entry door, only real alteration was external roll-up door on one end. That allowed longer material in the bandsaw. To me, entry door was superfluous, complicating work floor layout, plumbing & electrics. Most can't build 320 square feet of secure rain tight solid floor for $2300. Make sure you paint interior white before starting inside.

Back