Workshop shipping from SoCal to PNW

Inflight

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Moving from Long Beach, CA up to Olympia, WA. I have all my equipment palletized (or at least movable with a pallet jack). Looking at about 24 pallets so I think the truck will need a lift-gate. The heaviest machine is about 3,000 lbs.

Any recommendations for a shipping company? Needs to happen in the next three months.

Thanks,
Matt

So far, I have contacted a number of shipping companies. U-Ship suggested an open flatbed trailer that the driver will be responsible for securing the load and covering with tarps (about $3,400). Another company can provide a 53' enclosed van trailer ($2,750). Both of these will require a powered forklift at each end. Forklifts are available at each end for about $200 / day. I have a manual pallet jack that we can use too.These truck drivers want to be loaded / unloaded in about 2 hours but for an additional $50-$75 hourly charge, they will accommodate.

I was unable to find a shipping company with a large enough truck (minimum 48') that has a powered lift gate capable of handling the weight of some of these machines.

PODS has three sizes of box, so I'd need multiple 16' containers. That would work but it adds up quickly with quotes getting to over $6,000.

I'm still searching and haven't committed to anything yet, so if anyone out there has other suggestions, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Matt

You'll do better finding a freight broker.
They'll have infinitely more connections and details at their fingertips; and I'd collect 3 quotes, just like any type of contracting. Subscribers [owner/ operators] don't want to be on the road unladen.
Once a rig is chosen, stage all your pallets with a 1-2 day rented forklift. Fly to the destination and hire rigger/ millwrights to off load or rent another lift. It will help to number the pallets and map where they'll be placed.
I moved from Los Angeles to Kansas City 15+ years ago. 3 [dedicated] & 1/2 [LTL] flatbeds were about $5k. I bought a surplus ocean shipping container for toolboxes, welders, surface plates, heavy tables etc. Rent a POD or buy a container; I hate to rent! You won't have any trouble finding containers in Long Beach. Mine came from yard next to 710 Fwy; or was it 110? Acres of 'em stacked 8 or 9 high. Check craigslist too.
10 years later I had a second mill shipped from NY. Called same broker, she remembered me!
However, it seems "Arrow" in OR has retired.
Good luck, email if you need to and all this at no charge!

Lift gate is not the way to properly move a machine, too easy to tip one off if the gate flexes any. I would hire a local guy with a flat bed, load the machine with a forklift, and unload the same way at the other end. Moving it in a couple of trips maybe easier than trying to deal with a semi. 801-682-0064, ask for Travis, his trailer is rated for 24,000#

As long as the lift gate has the rated capacity don't worry about it. I got my mill 2300# with a lift gate

Welcome to Washington State, You will be about 60 miles north of me.

I'm in Silverlake up by Toutle.

As long as the lift gate has the rated capacity don't worry about it. I got my mill 2300# with a lift gate
Well; concerning liftgates, a mill can be more stable than a small lathe. But such a load is best placed at the back sill of the gate. The gate may have load capacity; I watched one instance where pickup didn't have sufficient springs to keep from squatting and a lathe would have slid right off but it was slung not forked.
Properly setting up a knee mill for moving entail 3 easy but important steps.
1] Rotate the head [spindle housing] fully upside down, ram retracted far as allowed with out contacting the column.
2] Lower the knee almost as far possible on wood blocking further descent and the screw backlashed to 'unload' the weight of knee.
3] Run the Y back to column also with wood in between, compressing the wood somewhat and backlashing that screw as well.
If hoisting the mill and ram is tapped for a lifting eye. use it. The configuration detailed above and location of the ring will cooperate. Otherwise sling under ram front and back of column.
BTW, on lathes, correcting or at least compensating headstock being the heavy end, set tailstock and carriage to far right of available ways. Set the tailstock and carriage clamps firmly.

I would use a fork-lift, much quicker and safer in particular for taller/heavy machinery. It also allows you to get the pallets offloaded where you want them. You may also have an issue with the width depending on the type of machine. Really comes down to the type of machines you are moving, volume dimensions and height. Heaviest lift gate I have seen was rated at around 2700 lbs, and they would not move my 2500 lb lathe. Ended up with fork lift to unloaded the lathe from a flat bed trailer. It is also dependent on the tractor trailer being able to get too you property at both ends, if you have hills, etc. To move a 2500 lb mill the distance you have usually will run around $700-1000 and you need to load and unload. If you can get everything into a 53' trailer for $2750, that is a deal for heavy machinery. You are only paying for one way. A few freight shippers to check that do a lot of west coast shipping.

Back