Worlds oldest Bridgeport?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Rhetorical question of course, but I went to a "man's sale" listed in the Detroit Craig's list the other day. Found a number of interesting items including this old Bridgeport. Probably not the worlds oldest but certainly the oldest I've seen.

The table was very short and piled with items, or I would've checked the serial number. A family member apparently put dibs on it so I assume it didn't sell, and didn't ask the selling price.

It appeared to be the estate sale of a deceased home shop machinist, judging from the medical furniture for sale. I almost bought an ancient drill bit sharpener, but decided to hold out for a Drill Doctor for as often as I would use it.

It was so cramped I couldn't back up any more to get better pics.

Old_Bridgeport1.jpg

Old_Bridgeport2.jpg

Last edited:
looks like my round ram, I have a new J head on it added power feed X and DRO xyz nice little mill

Just an M-head. Hardly the oldest I've seen.

The first pic is of the first Bridgeport I bought, $400 + $75 delivery charge from a fellow on Ebay.

The second pic taken years later has the same machine on the right side of the pic with a J-head mounted on it.

My M-head before.jpg

BPM 081511 014.jpg

then maybe My J head on the round ram was original, I just thought it was changed out. this is the way it was delivered to me for $600

20151024_144906.jpg

Last edited:
The oldest, that is the first, Bridgeport, serial number 1 is in the American Precision Museum, Windsor, Vermont. It was built in 1938. If I recall correctly, its serial number is actually rendered as "01". It's a round ram of course.

David

Duplicate threads merged

Back