Worm gear for a homemade rotary table

Meleon69

Registered
Registered
87B28313-0EBA-48D7-814C-AB3535A7574D.jpeg

D63995CC-FD53-495B-8DF3-9F2270F3F950.jpeg87B28313-0EBA-48D7-814C-AB3535A7574D.jpeg
I robbed this worm gear set from a the gear box of an old walk behind snow blower. I’m hoping to use it for a rotary table build. I couple of questions.
1. How do I determine the gear ratio?
2. Will it be too be to be practical?
I can provide more measurements. Just tell me what measurements are needed

One revolution of the worm advances the gear one tooth. 21 teeth so 21:1. That would be an odd number for an RT. Also an RT usually has a mechanism for taking up any slack to reduce backlash. This would be hard to accomplish with your gear set. However, if you are willing to do the math and only turn the table in one direction for its final setting, it could work.

Each revolution of the worm would rotate the table 17.1429º or 17º 8' 34.29".

Thanks for the reply. I knew there must have a reason I couldn’t anybody using them for any but there intended purpose. They are pretty robust and seem well made.

Following. A rotary table would be nice, being made of junk is not a negative in my book.

MontanaLon. This won’t break any speed records. My mill is currently in another province. Hope to fix that on the week. Stack that with the fact that I work a fly in fly out job. I’m home 1 week out of 3. But I’ll happily keep the group up to date with progress.

I am in for the long haul. Still have to find a snow blower I can scavenge from.

The older ones from the 80’s have lots of shafts, bearings, and hex stock in them.

If the gearbox had other gears that mesh with that one you may be able to get a better ratio out of it.

Back