Worm gear repair

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I took a day off from working on the Hendey lathe today... my old Buffalo Forge 21" drill press had two broken teeth on the downfeed worm gear...

20210602_085120.jpg

I built the teeth up using the TIG welder and silicon bronze filler.

I have a 12 DP gear tooth cutter... I realized it was close enough to use to rough out the worm gear teeth, so I set it up on the horizontal mill and machined most of the brazing back, then hand blended what was left.

20210602_103253.jpg

There are still several teeth with small chips on the corners, but nothing that will affect the functioning... I hope. The worst one can be seen in the pictures.

-Bear

Did you ask yourself, why did they break?

I haven't figured that out... I would think, being a worm gear, if it was overstressed or crashed, it would have broken the entire tooth off... Just a guess, maybe a heavy chip was dragged between the gear and worm? Or maybe someone was carrying a long, heavy piece of steel and ran into the gear with the end?

Idk... all I can do is guess...

-Bear

I took a day off from working on the Hendey lathe today... my old Buffalo Forge 21" drill press had two broken teeth on the downfeed worm gear...

View attachment 367942

I have a 12 DP gear tooth cutter... I realized it was close enough to use to rough out the worm gear teeth, so I set it up on the horizontal mill and machined most of the brazing back, then hand blended what was left.

View attachment 367948

There are still several teeth with small chips on the corners, but nothing that will affect the functioning... I hope. The worst one can be seen in the pictures.

-Bear

View attachment 367942

View attachment 367948

-Bear
You did good!

Back