Worn Engine Lathe Evaluation

Guess you guys didn't go all way through for the "money shot". He stated at the beginning the problem was the poor finish. No amount of resurfacing/scraping was going to fix the spindle bearings that had pits in them. That was the reason for the poor finish. At the end he showed how replacing the bearings gave him a good finish and like with many machines you can compensate for some wear. I'm hoping he comes back and scrapes in the cross slide where the greatest wear was.

For the record it's a crap shoot buying new Chinese/Tiawan as like in the cross slide on my little used 9x20 was just plain old not machined right. It still had all its original machine marks and was never fitted so was impossible to set the gibs right. Not to mention the slew of other things I've found. Videos like Wes's have given me the hands on to test and understand what to do when I can't get out of my machine what it should do.

Guess you guys didn't go all way through for the "money shot". He stated at the beginning the problem was the poor finish. No amount of resurfacing/scraping was going to fix the spindle bearings that had pits in them. That was the reason for the poor finish. At the end he showed how replacing the bearings gave him a good finish and like with many machines you can compensate for some wear. I'm hoping he comes back and scrapes in the cross slide where the greatest wear was.

For the record it's a crap shoot buying new Chinese/Tiawan as like in the cross slide on my little used 9x20 was just plain old not machined right. It still had all its original machine marks and was never fitted so was impossible to set the gibs right. Not to mention the slew of other things I've found. Videos like Wes's have given me the hands on to test and understand what to do when I can't get out of my machine what it should do.
Just subscribed to Wes Johnson on youtube ,glad to have found out about him ,I'll be watching the next video and many more after that. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a used lathe that needs some work as my winter project, I need all the help I can get.

I'm entertaining the idea of buying a used lathe that needs some work as my winter project, I need all the help I can get.

LOL Ken. Down here it's a given now that I know a little, if the ad says it's in good shape, it just needs a lot of work. If it says it needs some TLC, it's barely usable, and if it says it needs some work it's a boat anchor. Consciously looking for some old iron to restore is a noble aspiration but it brings out the OCD in me. That's why I like Wes's approach. Get er done and let other tweeky stuff slide. Yeah, I need all the help I can get too and thankfully guys in the biz take time to do vids for YouTube.

Back