Worn lathe bed to be reground or planar milled?

I'm surprised as well. I must admit it's been 20 years since mine was done, but at the time there was a waiting list. I wonder if the person doing the lathe beds has retired, or maybe they're just so backed up due to the pandemic that they just can't fit it in. My bed was sent in by a shop in the repair business. Maybe they're catering to the professionals, or just not doing it for individuals any longer.

I'd call back again and ask some particulars like:

1. Is the service temporarily or permanently no longer available to individuals?

2. Is the service still available to professional shops? (if so you may be able to contact a shop in your area. It's possible they may send it in for a small fee)

3. If the service is no longer available to anyone can they recommend someone who still provides it?
They did refer me to Schaffer grinding company in Ohio and they are out of my price range. I did email them back to ask when/why they stopped doing lathes but they never responded...

I think one of the difficult parts about lathe rebuilds is the cost of the rebuild on alot of lathes is way more than the value of the lathe. The cost to tear down, grind and scrape in an old lathe can be quite more than the value of the lathe.

Back