Worn spiral gear on Atlas MFC

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The spiral gear, P/N S7-60, on the table lift assembly of my Atlas MFC milling machine is badly worn. Does anyone know of a source for these? Are they still available from Clausing, or is there a generic part that I can find somewhere?

If mine were badly worn (it isn't) I would try repairing it before looking for "parts". It is basically an ACME threaded rod, actually two of them. TPI is 10 to the inch. The upper I think is 1/2 inch. Never paid any mind to whether right or left thread. The follower (nut) is non-ferrous, probably brass. Hell, mine may be worn. I'm real particular about compensating for backlash and wouldn't notice right away.

Thanks Bill. The problem that I am having is that the table sometimes gets stuck and won't move up or down. I have tracked the problem down to the S7-60 spiral gear. The gear is worn down significantly.

1570888709849.png

There is an entire Z axis assembly on eBay right now for $100.
I have found that EBay is the best source for part on these mills. I have contacted Clausing on many items, if a needed part only fits the mill and not the Lathes as well they have stopped stocking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Yorkus. I found a S7-60A on eBay and purchased it. The 70A appears to be steel while my old 70 is bronze. I don't think that matters. It was $30, which seemed reasonable to me. I can't imagine Clausing, if they even have the part, selling it for $30.

Examining my old part, the teeth appear to be gouged. I suppose that chips got in and messed it up. I'll have to figure out a way to periodically clear chips away. Maybe I can take the crank wheel assembly out and use a long brush.

I had an MFC that I finished a rebuild a while ago and just sold in the last couple of weeks. I had the stock parts for it so the rebuild was mostly cleaning and panting and Installed new brass / oil lite bushings through out the mill. With the purchase of MFC came a MFA “parts” machine. It was confusing at first because the machines actually don’t have very many moving parts in common. After completing the first rebuild I looked at what I had left from the MFA and decided I wanted to put it back together. Clausing was a giant help not because they had parts, but because they were willing to sent me original drawings so I could make the many parts I was missing. The reality of it is that if I couldn’t make the parts I couldn’t justify the product because EBay and Clausing parts would be too much money. I could buy another used mill of one type or another for less.
Anyway before I hijacked your thread I was going to tell you both my mills had brass gears. I haven’t seen steel gears in all my research but if it fits go for it and enjoy the mill!

If they are the same size, steel gears will work fine in any model of the Atlas mill. But all of the original change gears in the mills are from the 618 and are Zamak V.

If they are the same size, steel gears will work fine in any model of the Atlas mill. But all of the original change gears in the mills are from the 618 and are Zamak V.
Possibly my damaged gear is not original. It has a red/yellow color like brass or bronze. Both spiral gears - the one on the crank and the one on that drives the jack screw (the damaged one) look the same - same color and same construction. They both have inserts, apparently pressed into the gear bore to reduce the ID and make a slot for the Woodruff key. The inserts appear to be the same material.

I have not received the replacement yet. It does not appear to be brass/bronze from the eBay photo. I assumed steel, but it may be Zamac.

I may have misread Yorkus's post. I took it that he was saying that all of the gears in his mills were brass. But re-reading it, he was probably referring to the two S7-60 table lift gears. I don't have the drawing but they may well have been brass or bronze.

Sorry for not being clear, yes you are correct, I am referring only to the one gear in the table lift assembly. They are both brass.

Back