Worth fixing ?

Jim F

Registered
Registered
I was given this drill press, missing motor and pulley, belt, and chuck.
Chuck is $500, motor is $500, belt and pulley are about $50.
Not sure it is worth fixing........

Attachments

• 20220105_143656.jpg
    20220105_143656.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 50
Need a larger pic !!!!!!!!! :big grin:

I'm sure there are much cheaper generic parts available for restoration with a little research. Whether it's worth it is totally up to you. Mike

I'm sure there are much cheaper generic parts available for restoration with a little research. Whether it's worth it is totally up to you. Mike
Seems like the motor mount is a one off type.

The real question is 'Are you interested in fixing it?'. Restoration/fix-up projects need to be done from a sense of personal interest. For some of us, it is an aspect of enjoying machining as a hobby. If that doesn't match "you", then don't do it. You won't enjoy it. Otherwise, "Is it worth fixing" from an economical perspective comes down to could you make money doing it, or will it save you money over buying something equivalent? The answer to those is usually "no".

I was given this drill press, missing motor and pulley, belt, and chuck.
Chuck is $500, motor is $500, belt and pulley are about $50.
Not sure it is worth fixing........
Restoring is pricey with original-equipment parts, but... a micro drill press doesn't take
much motor power, and 'chuck' can be an ER11 collet; that's not expensive.
Fixing up a very useful tool isn't going to be expensive, IMHO.

Micro-drilling, doing small holes, a 3000+ RPM drill press is nearly indispensable.

Restoring is pricey with original-equipment parts, but... a micro drill press doesn't take
much motor power, and 'chuck' can be an ER11 collet; that's not expensive.
Fixing up a very useful tool isn't going to be expensive, IMHO.

Micro-drilling, doing small holes, a 3000+ RPM drill press is nearly indispensable.
Not sure where I can find a 30k motor that is 4" in length max....
I just did a google, ER 8 is offered in JT0, no price listed.....

A motor off of a router would be small enough and fast enough. Routers spin over 20k. Some trim routers get up to 30K. Getting a small fast motor is not a problem. Make whatever you need to mount it. Same goes for the chuck. Bet it has a standard taper. I doubt that they make the chucks. Too specialized for a small manufacturer.

Is it worth the time and effort? Only if you think that it would be a fun project to restore.

Back