Worth it to use these DROs on my Mill/Drill?

IHateMayonnaise

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks!

I recently came upon a few linear encoders (see image below), and I'm trying to determine whether or not it's worth it to put in my Enco RF-30 clone. Right now it only has a digital scale on the vertical/Z-axis, and I am eager to get a read-out on the X/Y as well. I'd be happy to throw ~$500 at this in order to get it complete (Meaning that it's at the point where it can be adapted to install on my machine), but from what my cursory research tells me, this is an unrealistic goal. These are Newall encoders, and I'm wondering whether other types of DRO Bars can be used, or if it's possible to use a non-Newall display on it, or any other ways to cut corners.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys? I know so little about these that any feedback would be very useful!

Cheers!
WesIMG_20180630_153343.jpg

Hi Wes, honestly I don't think you'll be able to use those- even if you had bars for them they probably have some proprietary output format and non-compatible connectors. Not plug and play I'm afraid. Oscilloscope territory.
You can buy a complete 2 axis system from Aliexpress for less than 200$, hard to beat that
Mark

Thanks Mark! Which system on Aliexpress? And are these digi-scales, glass, etc? Thanks again!

Cheers,
Wes

Just type DRO and you'll see great big bunches. Also Alibaba and Ebay and even Amazon. Look around here on the forum there are several postings about members using Aliexpress-purchased systems from China
I believe most are glass scales
You can specify the lengths you need when you order- make sure you understand how to specify that when you get ready to buy

Last edited:
Which ever DRO you end up with I can just about guarantee you will never look back.

Bought a two axis set from DRO Pro a couple of years ago. Cost was about $700 I think. Glass scales. Anyway, one of the best things I’ve ever bought for the shop.

Back