Worth looking at HF/Central Machinery 33686 (2hp round column mill/drill)?

psween

Registered
Registered
Looks like someone local is selling a HF 33686 with a bit of tooling. I've been watching for a small knee mill or maybe a square column bench model from Grizzly, but this one might do most of what I'd like to do. I do some hobby gunsmithing, small engine work, and used to have access to a very similar machine through work, so I have some familiarity with the Grizzy version of this mill/drill. I guess what I'm asking is what might a fair price be. It's the machine, a vise (can't see brand or quality from the pics, but looks like about a 5"), a universal hold down clamp set, boring head, flycutter, and a few miscellaneous end mills of dubious age/quality. He's asking $900, which seems a bit high. Any guesses as to what a fair offer might be? New from HF looks to be $1200, without any of the extras. Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

Overpriced imo, you can buy it brand new at the store for that with the 25% off coupon. I'm thinking $500-$600 for the machine and maybe a bit more if it has tooling you will use. I have been looking for a small mill on craigslist for months across multiple lists in two states, no luck. There's a Grizzly mill similar to the one you posted for sale in my area now, the guy wants MORE than it cost new from Grizzly because he cleaned off the grease and paid the shipping.

900$ is probably a bit high. I'd go look and see what is there since if it is a kurt vice the price would be getting more reasonable. Besides sellers don't usually start off asking LESS than they actually want. :)

Steve

I almost bought an Enco version of that mill last week. The guy was asking 900 as well, but that included a good amount of tooling, including a rotary table. My impression is that 900 is reasonable provided it includes lots of extras. And, of course, that the mill is in good condition. I was figuring that the mill was worth 450 and all the extra stuff was worth 450.

I ended up passing it over. Not because I thought the deal was bad, but I decided that it was just too big and heavy to place in my small basement workshop.

I sold an Enco like that a few years ago for $900. Included was a very nice custom steel bench and an import tilting vice. They bring that in this area, as not many small mills turn up here. I bet I could have sold several of those Mill-drills at that price.
A lot depends on how plentiful machine tools are in your area. And as others have said, consider the quantity and quality of tooling included. If the tooling is also import stuff, rather than US-made, that's a bargaining factor.

Sounds like most folks are confirming what I thought, maybe a bit high. He's also got a Lincoln TIG welder and a cheap 4X6 bandsaw that would be handy, maybe could work out a package that would make sense. I feel like the mill package would be maybe worth $750, especially if he would throw in the bandsaw, which he has listed at $100. Will give him a call and see what might work. We actually have a pretty good used machine tool market in the Minneapolis area, so maybe holding out for the right knee mill would be better. Thanks for your help.

Patrick

In 2005 my HF mill drill (same pn) was delevered new here for $850 , no coupon.

Back