Worth putting a fuse on each of the VFD output to motor lines?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Covered the thread sticky here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/55-How-to-Wire-a-VFD-to-Your-Machine

Been googling to see if this is something done? not finding anything really.

I have the 50amp two phase on a breaker box. This feeds a new VFD which will be wall mounted.

The VFD output (very short runs) then is wired to a single outlet just underneath where I can "plug" in my new 3phase toy(s). This way I can only run 1 device (as intended) and have a physical plug move to power 1 of 2 deices as needed

I'm wondered if adding a line fuse on each of the VFD motor outputs is worth any additional protection? It does appear that the VFD's these day's are so smart that they simply fault out if they detect a problem anyway?

My only concern was safey and simply started wondering if folks fuse the VFD output to motor runs individually?

A pretty good site for some VFD do's and do not's ( which did not offer a "do or do not" for my Q! But good overall).
http://machinedesign.com/motorsdrives/feed-your-vfd-right-power

The Bridgeport 815 surface grinder is going on this btw/ I have the 1 shot all fixed up. She's cleaned up, partially wired in and the VFD showed up today..... Sparks soon.

CG out.

The VFD output (very short runs) then is wired to a single outlet just underneath where I can "plug" in my new 3phase toy(s). This way I can only run 1 device (as intended) and have a physical plug move to power 1 of 2 deices as needed

I'm wondered if adding a line fuse on each of the VFD motor outputs is worth any additional protection? It does appear that the VFD's these day's are so smart that they simply fault out if they detect a problem anyway?

My only concern was safey and simply started wondering if folks fuse the VFD output to motor runs individually?

CG out.

Do not fuse the VFD output. I assume you have a service disconnect right before the VFD also. Switching between two motors is fine, but shut power off to the VFD before changing over to the other motor. The VFD will protect it's self and the motor.

Thanks Jim. The Do/Do Not article I posted had some good info about the VFD and the "DO NOT" regarding issuing even a power cycle (on/off) more than 1 time in 2 minutes due to some factors. That was news to me. A good tip. Also about a no-no to issue any contactor setups on the motor outputs - So I did dismiss this idea. Was really just curious since I did not see any info about fusing the motor lines? As for the input, yes, it's on a fuse breaker setup. All good there.

Do not fuse the VFD output. I assume you have a service disconnect right before the VFD also. Switching between two motors is fine, but shut power off to the VFD before changing over to the other motor. The VFD will protect it's self and the motor.

Back