Worthless Tools Gallery. What Tools do you regret buying?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've bought a lot of tools over the years and I have bought a few that I regret buying?
Like the universal center punch. What a waste. What tools have you purchased that later
on you regretted and maybe tossed or worse. (see Tubalcain hammering a drill point grinder!)
I'd like to avoid bad tools in the future, and gimmicky tools that are just unnecessary. You don't have to
name names but what are some tools that should be avoided? Thanks

Me, I never regret buying tools. Outher things yes. If a tool doesn't do as advertise I eather fix it or it becomes something deffern't and usefull.:roflmao:

Porter Cable "laser guided" circular saw. The laser never was straight and its housing makes it near imposible to see the line guide on the saws shoe.

Jake Parker

Uh, so where are the pics?!!! :lmao:

A 1/2" edge finder is quite usefull on large diameter stock. I use on al the time. A .200 doesn't work well there.

Agreed I like using 1/2" for certain things too. The ones I hate & won't buy are the metric ones, not as easy to split unless using the 1/2 axis function on a DRO between two edges. Well that's cause I don't use metric for measurements.

First off, I would not say that too loud around here... I don't think I have ever bought a tool that I regretted buying. As mentioned above every tool has a purpose, it just may not be the one that it was originally purchased for. I even like cheap tools, that way I don't feel bad when I hack it up to make it into a tool that I need. I also like having tools that I can "loan" out and not worry about ever getting it back. Being the guy who has all the tools means that friends expect that you can loan them everything. The problem with that is I make my money with my tools and can't afford to have a knuckle head friend ruin a tool because they don't know what they are doing.

I've bought a lot of tools over the years and I have bought a few that I regret buying?
Like the universal center punch. What a waste. What tools have you purchased that later
on you regretted and maybe tossed or worse. (see Tubalcain hammering a drill point grinder!)
I'd like to avoid bad tools in the future, and gimmicky tools that are just unnecessary. You don't have to
name names but what are some tools that should be avoided? Thanks

I have a real love/hate thing going on with my battery-powered portable tools. Several years ago I went whole-hog on 18v portables. They work great, fantastic.

The crappy batteries are the gotcha.

They're the older Ni-CD, always discharged before use, don't hold charge, can't find proper replacements, newer expensive replacements prevent the tools from fitting nicely in their boxes, and they're now nearly useless.

There is a battery rebuilding service, expensive, but no guaranty that they'll have any useful life.

What is a "universal center punch" ? Sound interesting I may need one. Photo please.

fixit

I have a real love/hate thing going on with my battery-powered portable tools. Several years ago I went whole-hog on 18v portables. They work great, fantastic.

The crappy batteries are the gotcha.

They're the older Ni-CD, always discharged before use, don't hold charge, can't find proper replacements, newer expensive replacements prevent the tools from fitting nicely in their boxes, and they're now nearly useless.

There is a battery rebuilding service, expensive, but no guaranty that they'll have any useful life.
The solution is the Makita 18v litium ion tools. All my cordless stuff is now makita with the 18v, 3.0 AH , lithium ion batteries. They aint cheap, but worth every penny. Makes every other cordless tool that I've ever owned look like a kids toy. I don't say that lightly.

Back