Worthy Stand (wood)

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So many of you have read my opinions on making machine stands out of wood, I still stand by the opinion that if you can make a stand from metal you should do that. Still, I don't have a welder out here yet. And, I'm cheap so always on the lookout for suitable stuff on Craigslist....

I've been on the lookout for a good stand for the Rockwell Unidrill I recently acquired and was just about to break down and build something out of wood when what should pop up on Craigs but this baby. Now I did have to cut one side of the wheels off, and wrestle it down about 60 steps but I think it was worth it. The guy I got it from says his dad built it for reloading shotgun shells and he's older than I am so it probably makes it about the same vintage as my dad's workbench in the background there. Yes, all those drawers fit into three sides of this thing.

Score:grin:

stand.jpeg

This is what will go on top of it.

inplacel.jpeg

John

Strong! Uncompromising! And can be moved around.
In this context, it would be an insult to use the phrase "you nailed it".
No you didn't! You bolted, screwed, glued, and maybe even mortice jointed it!

I have a lathe (SB9C) that came on a metal frame of welded angle iron with a 1/4" steel top, but mixed with wood for drawers etc. The thing sits too low, so like you, I am seriously considering a welder. It's taking me a while to check out a decent buy. Like you, I am cheap, but this is one thing I want as a new thing.

A cheap welder will make welds but it's definitely one tool that is worth saving for. If you don't have any welding experience and really want to learn how to weld I might suggest an oxy/acetylene setup. Yes, it does take time and practice to get good but they are versatile and have uses beyond just joining metal.

Mig is great if you just want to get going quickly but good equipment is costly. Stick welding shouldn't be overlooked for a low cost solution, another process that requires much practice to get good at but once you are there is a large range of work that can be done just by changing rods and settings. Tig is kinda the holy grail for hobbyists since you can potentially make very pretty and strong welds on aluminum, stainless, titanium, etc. I feel like if you get good at oxy or stick you have a better chance of mastering Tig.

I'm sure whatever material I used it would be hard to make something as capable as this thing though. There's just some stuff guys used to know how to do back when....

Cheers,

John

Thanks John. I see there are welders that can do more than one mode. Picking through the videos on YT is a bit trying because one has to look so hard to discover if it is a sponsored hype. In between, there are some postings that feel as though they have the "ring of truth".

Years ago I had a stick welder for up to 90A. I used it to make my trailer. It was basically a transformer with tapped secondary for several switched settings. I was able to make decent welds so long as I prepared the joint first, and tried not to weld up verticals. I also had oxy-acetylene, but the supply company wanted too much for "rental renewal" on the empty bottle, and I was in hard times. I have since discovered there are places one can get a refill, regardless the original supplier.

TIG, I think, is a bit like oxy-acetylene in technique. I would have to rediscover the skill and get some practice again. Definitely a stick welder is the lowest cost least fussy option, provided one gets good enough so that the slag just peels up off every weld, or flies away with one smack.

I have a Millermatic 130 that I bought used at auction probably in 2000.
It’s a 110v machine and works pretty well for my needs. I use gas with it because I don’t like the mess of flux core wire.

I’d love to have a TIG machine also but we shall see what the budget allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DavidR8 : Taking a reasonable power from 110V is hard on the household conductors unless they are (in your case) properly Canadian regulation fat. If you can access the 240V pair, that makes for a much easier time.

I also have nominal unspoken "budget", not actually all written down and accounted for. I don't mind a reasonable spend for real quality, the better if it is good value. I sometimes score a bargain because I might know more about the kit underlying quality, and the potential risk over why it is being sold.

The part I have most difficulty with is avoiding quite expensive stuff, pretending to be quality, that I eventually discard as "actually relatively crappy". That does not happen often!

The oxy setup can be used for heat treating and getting stuff unstuck as well as welding. And it's power requirements are quite minimal;)

The machine is unfortunately a 110 only machine and cannot be converted to 220v
I have wired in 20A 110v circuits simply because I like the additional capacity as a buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back