Would a 1018 cold rolled bar be OK for a draw bar?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a PM-25mv mill and the drawbar on top has a square head. I have made some add-ons to all my handwheels so I can use a 15mm socket on my drill so I can quickly move all 3 axis to where I want them. Makes life so much easier, especially the Z axis. I also use it as a power feed since my drill has a slow enough spin and I can get a consistent feed rate with it.

I want to make a drawbar and the retention nut so I can use my drill on the drawbar also. I can turn the the drill by hand to loosen/tighten the drawbar, then use power to quickly loosen/tighten. It'll make it much faster. All I have is aluminum and 1018 cold rolled bars. I am thinking of making a new draw bar with a 15mm head on top and a new retention nut to accomodate the much larger head size.

Is 1018 good enough steel to use for this project?

Thread life of the d/b might be a bit short because of using a powered wrench......

I wouldn't use 1018, you might want to try something like 1045 CR or 4140.

Couldn't he case harden the threaded end to add strength to the most used part? If it's done threads should hold up well.

4140 is the most common with commercially sold drawbars that I have seen. I made mine of of 1144 about 7 yrs & it's still holding up fine. I don't use a power draw bar or impact & I don't crank down hard on it. Plus I'm just a hobbyist. If when it wears out I'll make another one out of the rest of 1144 that I bought to make the first drawbar. I rather my drawbar wear out rather than the tools it holds.

4 points of Carbon, IMO. Anything less and you'll be making another when you have no time to do so...

Yeah I would rather strip out the draw bar threads before I screwed up the tool holder threads.....

Use 1045 and flame harden the end that the wrench goes on and leave the rest of it alone.....

Or do this..... I like darkzero's idea......
red_arrow_DOWN.jpg

Last edited:
Back