[4]

Would this bandsaw cut steel?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

SubtleHustle

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I'm looking for a metal cutting bandsaw, that doesnt break the bank. I came across this one, but I'm not sure if it will do the job or not. Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot_20181130-083649_OfferUp.jpg

Also, anyone have any experience with HF horizontal bandsaw? Thanks I'm advance guys, you all always give me good info.

SubtleHustle

SubtleHustle

Just got a message from the guy, saying he would let it go for $25, I kinda feel like it's a cant go wrong deal. What do you guys think?

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

Go get it

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I think that is American made, for $25 Ied buy it expecting to rebuild it and slow it down to cut metal,
HF stuff usually needs fixing out of the box , there are hundreds of posts about modding them to work better.
Here’s one for ya.
B209FB8F-624E-499A-8114-839508EAD2F3.jpeg

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
It's an order of magnitude better than the Chinese Delta clones. So yes, go grab it.

Looks like it will take some work to make it into a metal cutting saw but worth it.

Tinker2

Registered
Last edited:

SubtleHustle

Yeah, for $25, I expect it would take some work as well. But hey its $25. Would this be a good candidate for a vfd, you think?

SubtleHustle

Looks like I'm gonna have a new project....

SubtleHustle

Not sure if a vfd, or a different pulley system would be better, or both even. Will be the first bandsaw for me to mess with. Anyone know of any good threads, showing a good way to convert this to metal cutting?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I have a step pulley system on mine, but a VFD and 3 phase motor would be better. I had a 1/2 HP, 2 speed motor and a 30:1 gear box on the shelf when I did mine so I used that. My lowest speed is about 60FPM, can't remember what the max speed is.

If I were going to build from scratch, I would use a VFD and a dual pulley system to keep the wood cutting speed capability.

I'll get some pictures of mine later.

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
this what i use treadmill motor and make my own metal cutting blade out of bulk stock silver soldered together

Attachments

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Not sure if a vfd, or a different pulley system would be better, or both even. Will be the first bandsaw for me to mess with. Anyone know of any good threads, showing a good way to convert this to metal cutting?

A good place to start is try and calculate how much you need to reduce the speed of the bandsaw pulley to get the SFM number you want
for cutting metal. In general, there is a limit on how slow you want to run a motor from a VFD: as they slow down the fan becomes less
effective at cooling the motor, and torque may drop as well. Like Kernbigo, you could use a DC motor from a treadmill since they have motor
controllers that can slow the motors to any speed. Another possible solution is to use an AC motor that is slower to begin with. I
re-powered my drill press with a 6 pole motor that turns 1140 rather than the usual 1720 RPM. With a pulley change, that might get you
there. Or, as JimDawson pointed out, you can add a speed reducer (gearbox), or you could fabricate a counter shaft with pulleys. Which
approach you choose depends on budget, saw configuration and how much fabrication you feel like doing. Any of them could work.

If I could get an old Boice Crane for $25.00, I wouldn't be able to get there fast enough. Once I had it in my shop, then I'd figure out what
to do with it.

SubtleHustle

A good place to start is try and calculate how much you need to reduce the speed of the bandsaw pulley to get the SFM number you want
for cutting metal. In general, there is a limit on how slow you want to run a motor from a VFD: as they slow down the fan becomes less
effective at cooling the motor, and torque may drop as well. Like Kernbigo, you could use a DC motor from a treadmill since they have motor
controllers that can slow the motors to any speed. Another possible solution is to use an AC motor that is slower to begin with. I
re-powered my drill press with a 6 pole motor that turns 1140 rather than the usual 1720 RPM. With a pulley change, that might get you
there. Or, as JimDawson pointed out, you can add a speed reducer (gearbox), or you could fabricate a counter shaft with pulleys. Which
approach you choose depends on budget, saw configuration and how much fabrication you feel like doing. Any of them could work.

If I could get an old Boice Crane for $25.00, I wouldn't be able to get there fast enough. Once I had it in my shop, then I'd figure out what
to do with it.
Well, I'm going to pick it up first thing tomorrow morning. Will keep yall posted...

Dave Smith

Active User
it is hard to imagine being able to buy any bandsaw for just $25----good find

Hawkeye

Active User
My vertical is a 14" Beaver from the '40s. I slowed it down with a 15:1 gearbox and a trio of 3-step pulleys. That gives me 9 speeds from 28 sfpm to around 500. Some bimetal blades to fit and it's a dream to use.

The one before that was exactly like Kernbigo's 3-wheel, shown above. When I first tried it out on a piece of rebar, it ate a new blade in two seconds flat. A little thought reminded me that I needed to slow it down.

SubtleHustle

it is hard to imagine being able to buy any bandsaw for just $25----good find
I agree Dave, I just happened to see it for $50, and told them that I might be interested, but said that i have absolutely nobody that would be able to help me load it. They responded, that it comes apart in 2 sections, and they can either help me, or get someone to help....best part coming up...before I could even respond, they said heck I just want this gone, before family comes for the holidays, if you can come get it, you can have it for $25!!!
I quickly responded that I will be there first thing in the morning!!!o_O

SubtleHustle

My vertical is a 14" Beaver from the '40s. I slowed it down with a 15:1 gearbox and a trio of 3-step pulleys. That gives me 9 speeds from 28 sfpm to around 500. Some bimetal blades to fit and it's a dream to use.

The one before that was exactly like Kernbigo's 3-wheel, shown above. When I first tried it out on a piece of rebar, it ate a new blade in two seconds flat. A little thought reminded me that I needed to slow it down.
Thanks Hawkeye, all you guys advise is deffinately got me excited, just cant wait to see what its gonna take to get this thing back in service!

Superburban

I have both a horizontal, and vertical band saws that are geared for metal. The vertical one does not see much action, as it is mainly good for detail work. The horizontal, I can set the cutting up, and then do other things while keeping an eye on it. To make the same cut on the vertical, would take all my attention, for the same amount of time.

I a few less words, I;'m saying take inventory of your needs, and look for the solution.

At $25, I would grab it, and just plan on it for the detail work, not the big raw stock cuts.

Or I would freshen it up, and send it to the other side of my workshop, where many tools go to hang out with each other, and look good. I have a Boice Crane planer, and it is built like a tank. It came from a cabinet shop, so I bet it saw a good bit of action, but it is hard to tell by looking at it.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
you got a screaming deal! Does it have a large pulley on it - like an 8" or 12" pulley? that would help with your reduction.

SubtleHustle

you got a screaming deal! Does it have a large pulley on it - like an 8" or 12" pulley? that would help with your reduction.
No idea yet, I'll know more tomorrow.

SubtleHustle

Couldnt sleep in at all this morning. Woke up around 5:45, and remembered the old Boice Crane waiting to come home. Getting ready to go get her now. Gonna be a 2.5hr drive each way, but worth it. Oh yeah, and I've gotta stop by the bank to withdraw th $25!:grin:

7milesup

I have a HF 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. Using their standard 20% coupon I got it for well under $200. I modified a few things on it and built a new stand so I wouldn't have to bend over so far while using it. I have used the crap out of it. It is the same as a Jet/Delta/Grizzly and most likely whatever other brand you can think of. It is a very capable machine, but nothing like good old iron. Key word there is "good". Lots of crap old iron out there too. FWIW.

SubtleHustle

Well...got her picked up, and headed back home. It's in pretty good shape, and most everything seems to be there. I'm a happy camper!
20181201_114251.jpg
20181201_114325.jpg

dlane

Active User
Can’t beat the price for a non chi band saw , it’s worth fixing up

SubtleHustle

Yeah, I plan on doing a full restoration & metal/wood conversion . Gonna be a fun project!

7milesup

Sweet!!

[6]
[5] [7]