Would this bandsaw cut steel?

My vertical is a 14" Beaver from the '40s. I slowed it down with a 15:1 gearbox and a trio of 3-step pulleys. That gives me 9 speeds from 28 sfpm to around 500. Some bimetal blades to fit and it's a dream to use.

The one before that was exactly like Kernbigo's 3-wheel, shown above. When I first tried it out on a piece of rebar, it ate a new blade in two seconds flat. A little thought reminded me that I needed to slow it down.
Thanks Hawkeye, all you guys advise is deffinately got me excited, just cant wait to see what its gonna take to get this thing back in service!

I have both a horizontal, and vertical band saws that are geared for metal. The vertical one does not see much action, as it is mainly good for detail work. The horizontal, I can set the cutting up, and then do other things while keeping an eye on it. To make the same cut on the vertical, would take all my attention, for the same amount of time.

I a few less words, I;'m saying take inventory of your needs, and look for the solution.

At $25, I would grab it, and just plan on it for the detail work, not the big raw stock cuts.

Or I would freshen it up, and send it to the other side of my workshop, where many tools go to hang out with each other, and look good. I have a Boice Crane planer, and it is built like a tank. It came from a cabinet shop, so I bet it saw a good bit of action, but it is hard to tell by looking at it.

you got a screaming deal! Does it have a large pulley on it - like an 8" or 12" pulley? that would help with your reduction.

Couldnt sleep in at all this morning. Woke up around 5:45, and remembered the old Boice Crane waiting to come home. Getting ready to go get her now. Gonna be a 2.5hr drive each way, but worth it. Oh yeah, and I've gotta stop by the bank to withdraw th $25!:grin:

I have a HF 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. Using their standard 20% coupon I got it for well under $200. I modified a few things on it and built a new stand so I wouldn't have to bend over so far while using it. I have used the crap out of it. It is the same as a Jet/Delta/Grizzly and most likely whatever other brand you can think of. It is a very capable machine, but nothing like good old iron. Key word there is "good". Lots of crap old iron out there too. FWIW.

Well...got her picked up, and headed back home. It's in pretty good shape, and most everything seems to be there. I'm a happy camper!
20181201_114251.jpg
20181201_114325.jpg

Yeah, I plan on doing a full restoration & metal/wood conversion . Gonna be a fun project!

Back