Would you buy this lathe?

Dinwoodie Cutlery Concepts

Registered
Registered
Found this lathe on Craigslist supposedly worked fine when removed. All things considered Is it worth it for $800

Attachments

• 9C841B80-4253-43F0-81BE-A59E9D54C3FC.jpeg
    9C841B80-4253-43F0-81BE-A59E9D54C3FC.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 3B89FF86-783B-4F0F-86C8-2A146174C59B.jpeg
    3B89FF86-783B-4F0F-86C8-2A146174C59B.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 179
It looks like only light surface rust to me.
$800 sounds very inexpensive for a 12x40 lathe.
be sure to ask about other chucks, tool-holders, steady rests, etc.
also ask about motor, if 3-phase it might cost a few hundred more to power it (VFD or RPC)
none of these are a show-stopper, just go in with eyes wide open!

-brino

Tough call, looks like it was stored outside so not very well cared for. I'd take some oil and some 400-grit emery cloth around a wooden block and hit the ways to see how deep the rust is. Personally, I might look at it if I needed a retirement project. You'll have more than a couple of hours of clean up. Also as Brino mentioned, what else comes with it?

Here are a few other used lathes in your area. There's a Monarch 10EE on CL for $5500, but that's a different class.

Bruce

16" South Bend - $1500

13" x 40" much better shape Jet - $3000

Clausing 5300

I have one just like this one. I bought it at auction for $700. Came with three and four jaw chucks, steady rest, follow rest, QCTH, a roll around Kennedy box FULL of tooling and a lot of miscellaneous other items. Runs beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one just like this one. I bought it at auction for $700. Came with three and four jaw chucks, steady rest, follow rest, QCTH, a roll around Kennedy box FULL of tooling and a lot of miscellaneous other items. Runs beautiful.

There's always gotta be that one guy...

I worked with a person like you. I remember one day him telling me that he'd just picked up a first generation Ford Falcon sedan for... $50 at an estate sale because no one else made an offer. Even drove it in to work to show off. Grrr...

Lol. Some of us are at the right place at the right time!!

Found this lathe on Craigslist supposedly worked fine when removed. All things considered Is it worth it for $800
Questions to ponder:
WHEN was it removed? How long has it been sitting out in the elements? Can you plug it in and see if anything even works? Can you rotate anything? What else does it come with? Are you comfortable and capable of taking this apart and restoring everything? Can you move it?

No I would not buy it for 800.00
But that is me.
If it was a good machine it would not have been put outside.
Wire it up and if it all works than give him the 800 if it doesn't all work than its 300.00 part machine.

Back