Would you buy....

When I graduated from high school in '72 the industrial arts were in the process of contracting so de industrialization was already in progress. Metalshop had all the tools for foundry, machining and welding but we were only offered gas and electric welding with projects. If you wanted to do other things you could and the teacher would help you. Wish I'd had something in mind, but my focus was get outta there ASAP so honked on all my core classes and took electronics, auto shop and metal shop as alt science requirements. It's shameful none of this is offered anymore. If you are not even exposed to it you have no concept. So like the kid who has no idea where their food comes from consumers have no idea what it takes to make something.

Most times what I want or need is not available so now I can finally make it and it doesn't have to look like it was made by a caveman. My main "problem" is project creep, DIY cascade? Where I go to make one thing and I have to learn something and then make something or upgrade other tools. Its like a rock in a pond and ripples seem to go in all directions across the whole shop. My last cascade has lasted several months now and has involved almost every major machine tool in the shop which I never foresaw when it started. I use my shop to make a product I've been selling online for 33yrs so as production goes up I need to upgrade and every upgrade causes a cascade. It seems to be a never ending cycle about which I'm not complaining or bragging. It just is. And without a my ultra cheap Taiwan/Chinese machine tools would never happen.

C-bag, that is exactly where I have been for the last 10 years...”project creep” BUT, I have come to the realization that I love now (as a hobby) as what my dad for a living. I WISHED I learned more from him when I was younger. I did in relation to motorcycles & cars, but I was dead set on being a professional musician...that didn’t pan out. As far as cheep Chinese, it does really vary in fit and finish. I’m not dead set against it, but there in no doubt, pride in “made in America” but either it doesn’t exist or too expensive. I don’t remember when I came to the realization Craftsman was no longer made in America, but it was a bit depressing really.
This thread has really been all over the place, but if I was another newb looking for answers, you guys really have put a lot in here...and I appreciate it. Hopefully the end will be here in 3 days!

Hopefully the end will be here in 3 days!

LOL, my friend it's only gone to the next level. The old adage "the more you know the more you realize you don't know" is appropriate. As a fellow musician I believe you can use that same creativity to move you forward. Seeing how seemingly limited the 12 tone system is but the incredible range of music made with it can be directly applied. Sometimes the process is obvious, sometimes it has to sit on my dense skull for a while. That was one of the more valuable lessons I got from some of the old guys I worked with. There is always something else to do while things get clearer in my mind. Waste always happens when I get too hasty and run off half cocked.

Early on while I was still doing research on a mill and lathe I went through hours and hours of Mr. Pete's YouTube channel. Even when I had done something he covered I always came away with some jewel I didn't know. I'm grateful for him preserving his knowledge and experience as a shop teacher. YouTube is such an incredible resource. Just like music, I spend lots more time listening than playing. Seeing how theses guys approach a project is time well spent.

Spoke to the gentleman selling, we are still on, starting my long drive in t minus 12 hours, starting now.....Got an open trailer as this thing is over 6' tall and it supposed to rain. God know we have been getting hail from hell!

So, I'm sure this thread needs to go to bed permanently...doing that now. Thanks for everyone's input and advice, again greatly appreciated!
This place buys/sells CNC mills and lathes the size of buses..literally.
Here she was a little machine in a crowd of monsters;

image.jpeg

Her new home where it can be a big fish in a little pond. Hoping everything works good, I'm beat, it'll have to wait.

image.jpeg

Back