Would you buy....

I have a similar machine (Grizzly).

Doesn't look bad in the photos. But the table surface is not shown, so you might want to give it the eagle eye. Also check the full X and Y axis travel (manual cranks), with the table locks barely tightened. Looseness in the middle of travel, with tightness at the ends would indicate worn ways. The X axis power feed is a newer version of the one I have. Check operation in both directions and over the speed range, also the operation of the automatic stops. The vise is probably OK, but may turn out to be a bit large for the table. I once bought a 6" vise, sold it and bought a 5" one.

Check that the switch operates properly, both forward and reverse. Being wired for 110 volts means LOTS of current being switched, and it's sometimes hard on the contacts. Minor point - there's no cover for the belt box. Check that the spindle speed chart is stuck on the lower cover, or else that it's in the manual. Loosen the belt drive and try rotating the spindle by hand. Look for undue looseness, tightness, or noises. Tighten the Z axis lock and try shaking the chuck. Any rattles or looseness would be bad news.

Hope it works out for you!

Hman, you have already hit on something...he says there is some play in the table. I have not looked at it yet, I thought MAYBE it could be backlash adjustment. Being that you called it, perhaps it's worn out, if so, could I get a replacement table from Grizzly? Is it no longer worth it? I can hold out, but something great already passed me by, but I'm hoping to save money on something used but good so I can spend more on tooling. The lathe is already killing me for the same reason!
Thanks for the valuable input!

Looseness of the table might just mean that the gib(s) need to be adjusted. It's not necessarily a problem. Lightly tightening the table locks simulates gib adjustment when you go for the inspection. It's more important that the "tightness" of the table be constant from end to end.

As for backlash, there are a couple things you can do to fix it. The "best" answer (IMHO) is to install a DRO and have the gibs adjusted properly. I've always hated squinting at dials and trying to correct for even small amounts of backlash.

Don't count on a Grizzly table fitting a Central Machinery mill. And everything I've heard about Harbor Freight's parts/help/support has been pretty poor. Check the mill out thoroughly. If it's a lemon, just walk away.

Those endmills in the last picture are larger than that machine will comfortably handle. If sharp, they'll cut, but won't be able to use their potential.

Ok...that wasn't a good purchase. There is another one, a Jet JDM-15, LOOKS like he is also flexible on price, though I'm not thrilled with a round column unit. Compared to what I'm looking at, the price is pretty similar...if he takes $1500 or so...is it worth it? I have really only researched Grizzly or Precision Matthews. Also, it says it's less than 6 months old...it does LOOK new.
JET JDM-15

Last edited:
You can buy a brand new PM 25MV with stand and warranty for about the same price. No question in my mind that I would go with that before the Jet-15. They are very near the same size but the PM 25 is a superior machine in my opinion.

Hman and Mikey both nailed it, but there are so many details like what it's going to be used for. And do you want to pay less and fix more? I suffer TAS(tool acqusisiton syndrom) but have limited funds and limited space so it keeps TAS at bay somewhat. I also didn't start off doing super critical work so bought cheap and fixed or adjusted as needed. TAS also envolves price creep as the Jet and PM show.

I ended up with a well worn Enco RF-30 for $400. If it doesn't come with it the first thing I bought after a decent set of end mills was X power unit and the cheapest was almost $300. You already get you'll need more in tooling than the cost of the mill. One of the few bonuses was I had really bad drag on both ends of travel on the X & Y and once I pulled the lead screws and cleaned them almost all that drag went away. So there are so many details it takes a while to figure them all out.

C-bag I could easily just buy a new unit, and I still might. I’m just hoping to come across a good used mill & have more $$ for tooling, vices etc...the best machine isn’t worth anything if you don’t have supporting tools. I am very limited on space and is my BIGGEST concern.

Back