Writing my first cnc program

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to write a simple program that will take a 1" shaft down to 3/4" and thread the end of it 3/4-16. Sounds simple...but I'm just getting my feet wet with this new to me (old) mori seiki lathe.
Twin turret....took me along time just to get the spindle to turn. so on this machine the on command for the spindle is usually programed on turret 2. Finally got into the right book and a M33 is needed in the program if only using turret 1.
I write this program and try it on 3/4" stock and notice the numbers running like the initial sizing of the stock to 3/4 would be tapered.
Tried using G71 for stock removal but didn't understand the book so did it long hand. Watched youtube vids of it butt I have a fanuc6tc and the numbers they showed didn't work for me.
My code that cuts tapered:
G1 X-.01 F.012
Z.01
G0 X1.
ZO F.01
G1 X.99 Z-1.3
G0 X1. Z.1
G1 X.9 Z-1.3
GO X1. Z.1
And on like that to get to .750
Should that cut a taper?

Years ago I had a Makino count 15 which is the same as a guildemiester . Had a Funuc 6MB controller .

If I remember .......

After your speed codes and limiters

G0 x1.05 Z.1 m8
G71 was your roughing cycle P Q R S T being program # , roughing depth per cut , amount left on for finish cut and feed .
Would leave on .005 for the finish cut

G70 same codes other than a G41 cutter comp .

Does this make sense or sound similar ?

I may have the programming book and cheater chart down the basement still . If I do , it's yours .

Oh . Thread cycle was G76 PQUWF .

Last edited:
I have books.
just having a hard time understanding.
G71.jpg
The ns & nf had me perplexed. Not in the "glossary of numerical control terms" in the back of the book.
I see now that those are the address for start & end . I never put sequence #s in, guess I'll have to do that to make this work.
G71-1.jpg
Since I'm working on turret 1 that is on the left side of the chuck my diagram example is the upper left in the 4 examples on the bottom of this page? U needs a sign - ? that seems backwards. U- would make a smaller dia. And the U is for a finish allowance so that is confusing to me.
G71-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back